ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ

«The Bridge»

AS CHLOE slowly opened her heavy eyes, she found Daryl watching her intently. His arms were wrapped around her body, covered only with a blanket, as she snuggled into him.

"That's creepy," Chloe mumbled with a sleepy voice, causing him to chuckle.

"Ya sleep like a baby," he remarked.

"I had a dream about the CDC."

"What was it?"

"Can't remember it vividly," Chloe replied, staring up at the ceiling, a million thoughts evading her sleepy mind. "Do you ever think about the choice we made back then?"

"Leavin'?" he asked.

"Yeah."

"Nah, it was the obvious choice," he stated.

"All I wanted back then was to find them."

"Ya did," he assured.

"And now they're all gone, and I'm still here."

"Don't say that; ya still got Tom. Ya got me."

"I know," Chloe said, giving him a small kiss before sitting up, ready to get out of bed.

"Where ya think yer goin'?" he questioned.

"We gotta get going to Hilltop," Chloe explained as he tried to pull her back.

"We will," he said, pulling her into a kiss. It was short but long enough to arouse her, as usual. Chloe pulled away, resting her face on his chest as he leaned his chin on her head.

"Rick and the rest will leave before us; come on," Chloe whispered, moving away, and finally, he let go of her.

"If only ya had lost that bet," he teased.

"What?" Chloe said in confusion, forgetting all about the bet until she remembered. "You're feeling frisky, Mr. Daryl Dixon?"

"Hmm, I know."

The journey to The Hilltop felt endless for Chloe, particularly after enduring the storms that slowed their progress from one place to another.

Upon arrival, they encountered a battered Maggie in a wheelchair. Gregory had attempted to have her killed but failed, leading her to seek justice by hanging him.

Chloe felt irked by the fact that Maggie wanted Daryl to carry out the execution, treating him as if he were just one of her subordinates.

"It doesn't have to be you!" Chloe protested, pacing in front of Daryl.

"Who else would do it, Chloe? Merle ain't here, neither is Logan-"

"I don't care, Daryl. You don't have to do it if you don't want to," Chloe insisted.

"I do. He has to die for all he did."

"Fine, whatever," Chloe said, storming away to where everyone had gathered to witness the execution.

"I don't want to do this. But people need to understand that at Hilltop, the punishment fits the crime," Maggie declared as Daryl approached Gregory.

"Do you have any final words?"

"What you're doing isn't right," he whimpered. "Somebody stop this, please. Killing me in the dead of night because you're ashamed."

"You're wrong. I'm not ashamed," Maggie retorted before turning to Daryl and nodding her head.