Chapter 13

One of my favorite things in life was to travel by a vehicle and just have a long, relaxing ride. It seems ironic to call it my favorite because I probably had just done it only once in my whole life. I remember my mother took me and my brother to Sacramento in the summer of 1979 to visit my grandmother. A five-hour journey from Santa Maria to the heart of California seemed exhausting for an 11-year-old but I found myself enjoying the entire ride, falling in love with the sceneries and views that my innocent eyes were seeing. I consider it a wonderful thing that happened to me as a child that I never had a chance to experience again.

The rays of the morning sun was seeping through the window of the rented cab that I was in. It felt warm on my skin as I was leaning to the side of the window, my eyes staring at the view outside along the long roads of Los Olivos. The familiar feeling of being in a moving vehicle felt good. Kind of nostalgic. It was only a short---barely an hour---drive but I found myself unable to take my eyes away from the road. The blur of the trees was hypnotizing and it temporarily made me forget that I was getting farther and farther away from the place that has become my home for the last two months, the Neverland Ranch.

Leaving was harder than I ever thought. I smiled bitterly when I remembered Sarah's face, wet in tears as she beg me not to leave. Tilda and Anna gave me a hug but the other maids just stood there, not even meeting my gaze.

"We could do something about this," Sarah said, holding my hands. "I believe you, Jane. Maybe we should try convincing the boss---"

"I've already talked to the boss," I replied. My eyes were swollen from crying myself to sleep last night. I displayed a bitter smile. "He wants me out of the ranch. Let's respect his decision."

"But---" she paused. She wiped her tears and shook her head. "This is so unfair!"

I hugged her. My friend, Sarah. The friendship that I developed with her was one of the best things that the ranch gave me. There was no assurance that we'd see each other again and my eyes watered at the thought. I said goodbye to Tilda and Anna---the other two maids that I had fun being with. I looked at the other maids and tried memorizing their faces. Dana the head maid. Mary. Stella. Karen. Lia.

Lia's emotionless eyes were looking back at me. The two of us were looking at each other for a long time and she was the first one to break the eye contact and looked away. It was painful to think that one of them was the reason why this happened to me and while I didn't wanna accuse anyone without any evidence, I felt something strange towards Lia. There's something about the way she looks at me. I didn't wanna think it was her but I couldn't help it and deep inside I was having suspicion.

I didn't see the boss when I left the ranch. I tried looking around wishing to at least catch a glimpse of him before leaving but he was nowhere to be seen. Though it was hard, a part of me wanted to leave. When he refused to believe me even when I tried explaining, I realized that there was no point proving my innocence if his mind was already fixed in believing that I was a thief. Even if he didn't tell me to, I would leave. I'd rather leave than be in an environment where someone hates you secretly that she stole a necklace only to put it under your pillow so everyone would blame you. I would rather leave than be looked at with accusing, disgusted eyes. Being able to work in the ranch was a privilege. It was hard to digest that all of this was happening and I tried being optimistic by thinking that I could just find another job---though not as high-paying as the ranch---but at least I could start again.

"We've reached Santa Maria."

My mind drifted back to reality when the driver spoke. The bearded middle-aged man looked at me through the rear view mirror. "Where should I drop you off?"

"Just around E Main Street."

The driver nodded. I put my eyes back on the road and looking at the crowded and busy streets caused a small smile on my lips. Santa Maria. Home.