Chapter 8

"Where were you last night?"

We were cleaning the stoves in the kitchen when Sarah asked me that question. I stopped with what I was doing and looked at her. She was looking at me with questioning eyes.

"On my bed," I replied, taking my eyes back to the stove. "Sleeping."

"You're lying. I woke up around 1 am last night and I saw that your bed was empty."

For the second time, I looked at her.

"So where were you?" she asked, suspicion was obvious in her voice.

I took a deep breath.

For a second, I didn't know if I should tell her or not but then I thought that Sarah was the only person here that I consider as my friend. And besides, what happened last night was nothing so I decided to tell her the truth. I told her that I couldn't sleep so I went out the kitchen to get some water, then I saw the boss, we drank some milk and then we went to the library together.

"What?!" Her eyes widened. "You went to the library with Mr. Jackson last night?!"

I immediately put my palm in her mouth. I looked around if someone was nearby who could've heard her but thankfully, there was no one around.

"You don't have to shout it," I said.

"Of course I would shout!" she said. "I know he is the Michael Jackson and he's handsome and hot but why did you---"

"Hey, relax," I said. "Why are you acting like that? It was nothing, really."

"Nothing?" Her eyes widened even more. "Jane, you were alone with the boss in the library at 1 am, how do you expect me to react? What did you do there, huh?"

"Uh, Nothing? We just---"

"Did you have sex with him?"

My eyes literally went wide. Oh my goodness. I couldn't believe she just said that!

"Wait---What? Of course not!" What the hell was she thinking? Was she out of her mind?

"Then what did you do to the library?"

"Nothing!" I said, trying hard not to shout so no one could hear what we were talking about. "We just talked about books, and that's it!"

When a guy and a girl spend time alone together, why does it always have to be sexual? He's my boss, for Pete's sake. I didn't know how long I explained just for Sarah to understand that the boss and I didn't do anything 'sexual'. I am not that kind of girl and for sure, Michael Jackson isn't that kind of man. The thought itself was so unethical.

I couldn't even imagine it!

Days went on and the boss and I never got to talk with each other again. He was always busy. Sometimes I'd see him walking around the house and our eyes would meet. I would greet him casually and he would just nod back, but he'd never speak nor smile. We were okay, weren't we? I knew I shouldn't be asking this, but why wasn't he smiling back at me?

Being around him now felt awkward especially after what happened to the library. It kept on boggling my head. I couldn't focus on working because everywhere I look, I see my boss' face. The memory kept on playing and playing inside my head.

I was lying on the floor, and he was on top of me. We were staring at each other's eyes. I thought I saw him looked down my lips and---

"No," I uttered to myself. I shook my head in an attempt to get rid of the thought. "Stop thinking about it, Jane."

But I couldn't.

When the guests of the day departed, the whole house was in total mess. The children played around and I even saw the boss playing with them. I was working in the kitchen with Sara but then she was called by Miss Joan so I was left alone. I was mopping the floor when I heard a voice from behind me.