Chapter 2

"The boss is home!" Dana shouted. "Get up and fix everything in the house before he wakes up!"

The sun wasn't even up but the loud voice of the head maid had already been echoing inside the quarter to wake us all. My head was a bit aching for staying up late last night. I wanted to sleep but it was the call of duty so I had no choice but to get up.

We changed to our uniforms before starting to work. Dana commanded Sarah and me to wipe the plates and the utensils that the boss will be using for breakfast while the rest were preparing the dining table. 

"Have you ever talked to him?" I asked Sarah as we were wiping dry the newly-washed plates.

I was curious. The staffs here were acting normal and fine and it seems that I was the only one who was tensed and feeling uneasy knowing that the boss was finally home. It meant I would be walking inside the same house and breath the same air with him.

I wasn't his fan but I knew how big he was. This is the Michael Jackson we are talking about here. He was so big even the non-fans would surely be thrilled being in his presence.

"Who? The boss?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Have you ever had a conversation with him?"

"Yes, of course."

I kind of got interested so I asked how their conversation went like.

"He is always busy," Sarah said. "But one time, he saw me cleaning the windows and then he started asking questions about the house. It was just a short conversation, though and it happened about a couple of months ago."

I just finished wiping the goblets and I proceeded on wiping the spoons and forks.

"I thought we are not allowed to talk to him?" I asked. I remember that it was one of the rules that Miss Joan told me right after I passed the interview.

"Well, the boss initiated the conversation," Sarah answered. "If he asked you, you answer. If not, then you shut up."

By the time the boss walked down the stairs, everything was finished. The foods that were prepared by the chef had already been served on the table. Everything was done and we were lined up to the side of the dining hall as he walked pass us, wearing a plain white v-neck shirt and a pajama.

I was just standing, my eyes on him. His familiar image seemed unreal in front of me. Jet black curly hair. Lean and tall figure. That iconic Fedora.

Right, here he was. I was literally just few feet away from the famous singer of Billie Jean.

"Good morning, Sir." It was Miss Joan. "Here is the newspaper."

"Thank you, Joan." His voice was calm and soft. It now sounded happy and alive, not tired and drained like what I heard last night.

He smiled and sat down in the table. "How was everything while I was away?"

"Fine, Sir." Miss Joan smiled and sat on one of the chairs. "Definitely fine."

He nodded and took a sip from his orange juice. He turned his head towards our direction and accidentally, his eyes fell on mine. I was shocked. I didn't know what to do so immediately looked down to avoid his gaze.

Damn, my knees were shaking. He just stared at me!

The visitors started coming around 8:30 in the morning. This day, we had children from the orphanage as guests. Since Michael Jackson was here, he happily accompanied them as they tour around the ranch. He played and eat with with them and he even gave them candies and ice cream.