Chapter 4

The moment that I met Chris in the kitchen that night, I already knew that he was born to annoy me.

Everytime I worked in the kitchen at night alone, he would suddenly just pop up beside the kitchen island with his chin resting in his hand, telling me about nonsense stuff and ask me stupid questions like:

"Do you like pineapples on pizza or not?"

I looked at him. Of all questions, of course he chose that particular one to ask me. Why? to irritate me. To piss the hell out me. To simply just slow me down with my work.

"Can't you see I'm working?" I asked. "Why don't you get out of here and ask your fellow bodyguards instead?"

"But its you I wanna ask," he said, an annoying smirk plastered on his face.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. When was he going to leave me alone?

The next morning, It was time for me to clean the library again. I had come to a conclusion that the boss was a sedate, serious man when he was alone, a much different personality from the one that he displays when he was out with other people. As I was standing outside the door of the library, I was practicing what to say in case he was in there again.

I practiced a smile and said in a low voice, "Hello Mr. Jackson! Good morning! How are you?"

Oh wait.

I shook my head. No---that was too enthusiastic. How about a simple "Good morning, Mr. Jackson."

I said it again one more time before I nodded. That's it.

I was holding the basket of cleaning materials on my right hand and a broom on the left. I was standing outside the library's door for about five minutes now but I still didn't go in. I was breathing deeply, nervous as ever. "I can do this," I whispered to myself.

"Relax Jane," I said again. I inhaled and exhaled to calm myself. "Relax."

I gripped the door handle and after counting one to three, I decided to finally open the door.

The hinges creaked as the door of the library opened widely. My eyes immediately looked around and then there he was. Just like what I had expected. The boss was sitting on his favorite chair. His face was covered by a big book that he was reading.

I gulped and collected myself. I took a deep breath before I finally said what I've been practicing to say outside. "G-good morning, Mr. Jackson." I bowed.

I saw him peaked through the book and looked at me for a second. His eyes met mine then he nodded.

No words, not even a smile. Just a nod.

I closed the door of the library. I cleaned this very library yesterday but now, oh gosh. It was messier than it was before. The books were, again, scattered on the floor. Ripped magazine pages were everywhere and the rest of the books were removed from the shelf.

How did this become so messy when I just cleaned this yesterday?

"Sorry for the mess," he said while still reading.

How could he manage to make the library this messy just by himself? I couldn't understand how he did it. Was he partying and moonwalking here all night or what?

I smiled. "It's okay, Sir."

l didn't have the right to complain and he didn't need to apologize for the mess that he did in this room. This was his library, and he could do whatever he want. He could turn the entire place upside down and I'd still clean it because I was a maid and that was what I was paid for.