Chapter 9

"I think Chris likes you."

My forehead creased when Sarah said that. I looked at her. She was smiling at me like an idiot.

"Pardon?" Was I hearing her right?

"I said I think Chris likes you," she repeated. Chris likes me? What kind of joke was that?

"Couldn't you feel it? He just gave you a flower," she added, pointing at flower that I was holding. "If a guy sends a flower to a girl, it only means he likes her."

I looked at the flower in my hand. It was a red, long-stemed rose and yes, Chris gave it to me. He came to me earlier while I was working in the kitchen and handed me the beautiful rose.

"Yeah, but it was a peace offering," I said. "He ruined my book yesterday, you know."

Speaking of the soaked book, I left it opened out in the sun this morning to dry it up. Fortunately, no pages got ripped. I didn't expect that Chris would say sorry by giving a rose as a peace offering. I liked it, though. It was fresh and beautiful.

"Are you blind, Jane?" Sarah jokingly nudged me with her elbow. "Come on, are you numb or what? Chris likes you! It's obvious!"

Since I started working here, Chris did nothing but annoy me. How the hell could he like me? Impossible. The guy was probably just sincerely apologizing for almost ruining the book that Mr. Jackson gave me.

"Well," Sarah continued. "He's not that bad. Chris is cute, though. What do you think?"

I paused to think for a moment before I nodded my head."Yeah, sure," I said. And that's not a lie. Chris was actually good-looking. "His eyes are nice."

I didn't know how to describe him but I was sure he kinda looked like some actor that I'd seen on TV.

Sarah giggled at what I said and shook my arm excitedly. "Awe!" she said. "I think I'm starting to ship you two!"

"Ship who?"

Sarah and I turned around and we almost froze when we saw Mr. Jackson standing right behind us. He was wearing a blue long-sleeved button-down shirt along with his iconic black Fedora.

Sarah and I immediately bowed. "Good morning, Sir."

You wouldn't see the boss around the house all day but that doesn't mean he couldn't just appear behind you. He could literally just sneak behind without you knowing it. Just like what he did just now.

Sarah and I looked at each other furtively. Both of us were probably thinking the same thing. Her eyes were saying, 'wtf, I didn't see him coming!'

Mr. Jackson nodded as a response. I saw him took a glance at the rose that I was holding before he turned his gaze back at us. "Do you mind telling me what you two were talking about?"

For the second time, Sarah and I looked at each other.

"I-It's nothing, Mr. Jackson," I said, eyeing him. "We were actually just about to.. uh, clean the main room when you came."

The boss nodded again. He took his eyes back to the rose in my hands. "Did the flowers came? Is that one of those that came this morning?"

"Yes, Sir, the flowers came this morning but they were sunflowers because that's what you requested," Sarah answered. She pointed at rose that I was holding. "This was from Chris."

The boss looked at me. Then at the rose. Then back at me. I didn't know if I should speak or what, I just stood there and did nothing.

"Chris?" he asked. "My bodyguard?"