Part 6: Susurrus

"but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭40:31‬ ‭

"I CANT BELIEVE I WAS RANKED BEHIND EREN!" Jean cried as he glared daggers towards Eren's direction.

We had just graduated and gotten our ranks. I placed 2nd, behind Mikasa. I wasn't mad or envious though. She was a gifted soldier. I was proud of her nonetheless.

"Oi," You turned to Jean. "You look even more like a horse when you're mad." I said blandly while pointing at his horse like features.

My remark made Connie screech with laughter, Sasha laughing too not long after, most likely laughing more at the his laugh than my comment. Jean whipped his head around, turning his angry gaze at the two "idiots" as he would call them.

"Don't keep your face like that too long, you'll get wrinkles." Connie slipped in between laughs. Him and Sasha were basically rolling on the floor at this point.

Jean mumbled something under his breath before walking away. I didn't catch what he said but it didn't take a genius to know that it wasn't very nice.

I also started to walk away before a pair of turquoise eyes caught mine. I held the gaze before continuing to walk. I heard the boy chuckle before running to catch up to me. He eventually made his way up beside me, a mischievous smirk across his stupid face. I sighed looking over at the boy. I hadn't noticed he had gotten taller than me. But that didn't intimidate me,

I could always beat him in a fight after all.

For the past couple weeks Eren had been trying to make me his friend. Always talking to me and sticking to me like glue. He obviously knew it irritated me slightly which gave him even more the reason to continue. Though deep down I didn't hate it. I just strongly disliked it which is saying a lot coming from someone like me.

"Hey." He smiled brightly at me as he appeared beside me. Adjusting his walk slightly so it was in sync with mine.

"What do you want from me?" I sighed. He's probably going to go on some rant about how he ranked above Jean.

"Wow, not even a 'hello how was your day?' back?" Eren gasped sarcastically. "Ok then, princess I guess you're too good for me." A smirk tugged at his lips.

I looked at him, clearly unamused. "Well?" I asked again wondering what this tiresome boy wanted.

He thought for a moment. "Oh right, I was wondering what regiment you were planning on joining." He scratched his neck, clearly nervous about my answer. After all I ranked in 2nd. Which means I could join the MP if I wanted. Which also means I would be separated from this obnoxious child because we all knew Eren was dead set on joining the Scouts.

"Dunno." I replied with a shrug. "Probably the MP?" I sighed, not being able to make up my mind. Joining the Scouts was dangerous, almost everyone dies out there. The Garrison was filled with either a bunch of drunks or "idiots". Lastly the MP was just a bunch of "better safe than sorry" dudes.

Eren sighed, not too happy with my answer. But who was he to care anyways? It's not like we were technically friends, he just followed me around everywhere and interrogated me every minute of the day.

"But you're still thinking about it right?" He said, his voice laced with hope.

"I guess so." I replied yawning. He watched me as I wiped away the tiny tear drops that formed in the corner of my eyes from the yawn. "Why do you care anyways?" I continued, curiosity hinted in my voice.