Chapter 14 [part 2]

It is difficult to explain the feeling I had when I jumped through that portal.

My legs felt loose, as if I was floating in the air, but at the same time I felt the ground under my feet. My body vibrated at a strange rhythm, every part of my body trembled. And in the blink of an eye, in a thousandth of a second, there I was.

I was in the old Crescendo.

As I opened my eyes, and before I looked around, I noticed that my hand was holding tightly to Russell's. He, contrary to what I thought, did not let go of it even after passing by.

My gaze slowly incorporated each image presented to me.

Even though it was night, it was impossible not to see it.

A castle, tall and imposing, completely in ruins, was displayed before my eyes. Even though the plants had eaten away inside the ruins, I could feel the splendor of what once was that place, like a sleeping memory, which was transmitted to me without having witnessed it.

And then, a thought wounded me, struck me directly in the heart.

"This would have been my home." If the invasion had never happened, if no one had found Crescendo, if none of that had taken place, that would have been my home. I would have been born a princess of a wonderful kingdom. I would have had a loving family, two parents who were willing to give their lives to save me.

Would I have met Russell in the same way? Would we have been friends? Anything else? Were we destined to meet, or was it just a fluke in a sea of possibilities?

None of that mattered. I shouldn't have thought about it.

Nothing could turn back time.

'Are we all okay?' Galaga asked.

Seeing them all safe and sound, I felt as if my soul were returning to my body. Each one of them had become an important part of my life, and I couldn't imagine anything bad happening to them.

'You had to push me? I stained my pants with these ashes.' Rayn complained, dusting himself off.

I hadn't noticed the ashes until he said it. They were everywhere. They were scattered on the ground like a second layer of land.

'You're too slow,' replied Galaga, starting to walk towards the castle.

Finally, I let go of Russell's hand and followed her. I noticed how his brothers were joining him. The four of them followed me as if they were my personal guard. Did they really have that much loyalty to me?

'Are you all right?' Tryx asked me. I guess she was the only one who noticed the heaviness in my heart.

'I have to be,' I answered honestly.

We walked stealthily, watching every step we took.

No one could be seen around us, but that did not mean we were not in danger. We shouldn't take any chances.

We reached the front of the castle.

The wooden door was broken in half. I was able to get in by contorting my body a little. Everyone followed me without saying anything else.

If I thought that the plants had taken possession of the castle from the outside, I did not know what was waiting for me inside. Twenty years was just a number, until it was reflected in an image.

 Twenty years was just a number, until it was reflected in an image