Chapter 3 [part 1]

The woods were calling me. They told me they were the refuge I was looking for, the home I couldn't find on their outskirts. The woods let me pass, opened their arms to me. I went inside without thinking. And I kept running, not believing I could resist much longer.

As I ran, I tried to tear my dress and undo my corset. My legs were cramping, my feet were screaming for my mind to stop, and my brain decided to ignore them.

My breathing was getting more and more labored and my blood pressure was flying along with me, a thousand miles an hour

Adding to all this was my bewilderment. No matter how much I visited them day by day, at night the woods were a total stranger to me.

Nevertheless, it was not hard to realize that I was in a place I had never been before. I had run too far.

I stopped for a second to get some air. My throat was dry and my eyes were watering. I inhaled and exhaled with difficulty.

I thought for a minute that I was safe, but quickly the sound of galloping reached me.

Against my body's wishes, I ran again.

I felt the adrenaline taking control over my body. If I stopped again, I would probably die.

It all happened in less than a second. I stepped on a branch and my ankle twisted.

I fell, rolled on the ground and got wet mud all over me. I reacted as fast as I could. I got up and tried to keep running at the same pace as before, but it was impossible. Not even the adrenaline could fight the pain I was feeling, I couldn't go on.

I had to stop. I turned my head in panic. I could see the torches that accompanied the noise of the horses.

I looked to the other side and saw a huge tree with a hole on its side. I limped towards it and hid inside. I prayed silently to the Gods, trying not to breathe.

That's why I was able to recognize another sound.

I heard a breathing, which certainly was not mine.

It was something or someone else, very close to me.

Behind me.

My heart stopped for a second. I prepared to die. I could feel the shadow slowly approaching me. I turned around just a little bit, and out of the corner of my eye I could tell from the bodily form that it was a man.

He got closer and closer.

I turned my head again, raised my chin. If I was going to die, I'd rather die with dignity.

The shadow covered my mouth with his hand and whispered a small sound to indicate that I should be silent.

I didn't understand what was happening, but for some reason I felt that I wasn't going to get hurt.