Chapter 16

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Cora! Happy birthday to youuuu!" We all cheer and clap as she blows out the eighteen candles placed atop the intricately decorated cake her mom made. My hand instinctively reaches over to grasp Jasper's, but the cold air that I find is a quick reminder that I'm here alone.

Cora wanted nothing more than to spend her birthday with her family, so I canceled the huge party I had started to plan and pulled some strings to get us back to Black Moon to celebrate. Unfortunately that meant Jasper had to stay home since the fire at Dark Mountains was only a week ago and unease is still prevalent among all packs. Without any new information on who's behind the arson all of the packs and leaders are ramping up security and riffling through records to try and find clues about who is terrorizing pack after pack.

Today has been a much needed distraction from tense atmosphere choking our sense of normality, and even though Jasper isn't here with me now we had a blast this morning at breakfast with Brooks's family. Brenda, Brooks's mom, was adamant about cooking Cora a birthday breakfast and exchange gifts before we left for Black Moon. My heart nearly exploded seeing the bracelets that Isla and Hart made for Cora, and judging by her teary eyes she felt the same adoration for Brooks's siblings in that moment as I did.

"Happy birthday pumpkin!" Cora's mom, Miranda, wraps her arms around Cora's shoulders placing a motherly kiss on her cheek. The click of a camera goes off capturing the adorable moment just before Troy imitates Miranda's movements making obnoxious kissy noises in the process. Cora elbows him in the gut a second before his lips touch her cheek causing him to groan out in pain.

"Dick." Cora grumbles under her breath so her parents don't hear her, and I chuckle from my spot leaning against the wall. My mom rushes in with a knife to cut the cake followed by my dad bringing in plates and utensils. There isn't a single person in here that isn't eager to devour this sugary treat. Since dinner was taking a little longer to cook than anticipated my mom suggested we open presents, so thankfully now no one has to wait for their sweet fix.

"Ass." Troy rubs his stomach with one hand while keeping himself upright by clutching a chair with the other. He shoots her a glare before plopping down in the chair next to her crossing his arms and pouting like they are children again.

"Bad Word!" Maya, Emeric and Melody's youngest, screeches pointing at Troy with horror in her eyes. It takes everything in me not to burst out laughing especially when our parents whip around to see what the hell is going on.

"Sorry Maya. I won't say it ever again." Emeric snorts at Troy's lies because we all know that it'll take one stub of the toe before he's listing off every swear words in the book. Melody mouths Troy "thank you", and we all settle down falling into separate conversations just enjoying each other's company. I feel restless being so far away from my pack and mate, yet so ecstatic to be surrounded by my family for a happy occasion. Pushing my plate away from me, I stand up and walk over to where my mom is sitting at the kitchen island.

"How is Tessa holding up?" My cousin's absence today hasn't gone unnoticed, but no one is saying a word because it digs up the gut wrenching reminder of what's waiting for us in just a few hours. We can all put up a carefree facade for the day, but deep down those consuming doubts and fears claw at the back of your mind demanding attention. By the end of tonight we're all going back to the reality that someone or a group of people is still lurking waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike.

"I'd be lying if I said she wasn't struggling." Guilt seeps into my heart for not going down to Dark Mountains this week. We sent warriors, supplies, and even some of our medical personnel, but Jasper was extremely rattled and anytime I brought up the idea of us leaving to go down there I could feel his terror as he shuffled through all the horrendous possibilities that could happen during our absence. "Aidan and I double checked our ridiculously minimal records on her mother, but none of them showed any issues with her pregnancy, and I know that it isn't just the attack effecting her." My mom uses the palm of her hands to rub her eyes before dragging them down her face, the exhaustion and worry is starting to crack her barrier of happiness.