Chapter Twenty-Six: From Russia With Love

Start from the beginning

A facility which he, Schuster and the other rebel scientists had kept from Dr Maxis. Richtofen kept a safebox there with identity papers should his plan - nicknamed Operation Shield - to get rid of Maxis - go awry. But these papers now had a different purpose as they presented the opportunity for him to carry out these new orders.

With the end of the war, both the Americans and Soviets were already sowing the seeds of animosity for the Cold War. Aside from the race to build nuclear warheads or even the future space race; both countries wanted to be first to continue the mysterious work of the Germans.

Therefore, the voices demanded that Richtofen finish the deals he had previously been in the middle of negotiating with the Americans and Soviets respectively. Operation Shield had no set date of execution as he and his men were simply waiting for the right opportunity to present itself. So, these deals were the aces the Doctor carried up his sleeve until its execution.

The voices had told Richtofen that they must now be seen through and how they could be used to get him out of the rut he had found himself in back in 1963. But of course, being Richtofen, he was going to have some fun with it.

The first stop after collecting his papers was to reach out to the Americans. Richtofen made a deal with them under Operation Stapler; which also ensured his men were safely taken out of Germany in order to continue conducting their research. But, like any good businessman, Richtofen also made the deal with the Soviets. Playing both sides would ensure success either way.

Richtofen finished mulling over his thoughts and began to look out the window again. After snaking through many streets, the buildings parted to reveal a large grandiose behemoth of a structure. Richtofen sat up and looked out as he marvelled at the building.

"Ahh, so zhis is vhat zhe Lubyanka looks like", Richtofen whispered to himself as they approached the entrance.

The car was quickly swallowed into the mouth of the grounds before pulling up outside. The chauffeur pulled up the handbrake before getting out to open the door for Richtofen. The tall German stepped out of the car dressed in a three piece beige suit as he carried a brown leather briefcase. His Nazi uniform was safely stored for his return to the theatre.

He actually looked quite handsome - when he dressed like a normal man. His dark blonde hair was slicked back with his signature silver temples on full display. Upon returning to civilisation, he had decided to treat himself to a haicut and a trip to the tailor. The double-breasted suit fit beautifully on his lean frame as the waistcoat hugged his body perfectly. He wore a red bowtie in contrast to his crisp white shirt. His welted tan leather shoes were freshy polished and clicked gently on the ground as he walked. He looked like the quintessential 1940s heartthrob - and classic never goes out of style.

As Richtofen approached the doors, he produced a silver pocket watch from his waistcoat to confirm he was still on schedule. Two large guards ushered him in at the entrance as they threw back the grand wooden doors. As he stepped inside, Richtofen was rather disappointed by the drab interior; which had taken its toll on the once grand building and leaving its facade a lonely echo of its illustrious past.

A short, nondescript, man dressed in a black suit was already waiting for him in the foyer. He perked up upon seeing Richtofen and promptly made his way towards him.

"Doctor Richtofen, I presume?" The man called out.

Richtofen turned to the man before giving him a curt nod. He absolutely towered over the small Russian who looked visibly uncomfortable in Richtofen's presence as he struggled to respond.

"Vell? Shall ve get going?" Richtofen snapped impatiently.

The man cowered before hurriedly showing Richtofen the way. Every corridor looked the same as the monotonous Soviet interior would have made it very easy to get lost. After what felt like hours of navigating the labyrinthine building; they finally reached the top floor to the executive offices.

Two soldiers stood sentinel outside the office before standing to attention and opening the doors. Richtofen marched in to be confronted by a man seated behind a large oak desk flanked by two soviet flags. He put down his pen and tidied away his paperwork before waiting for Richtofen to be seated.

"Hello, Doctor Richtofen. I hope you are enjoying your visit to the capital. As you can see, we have already begun to rebuild", the man announced as he narrowed his eyes indicating his awareness of Richtofen's German nationality.

Richtofen remained standing - quiet and menacing - as he gave another curt nod.

"Oh, my apologies. My name is Vsevolod Merkulov. I am the chairman of the KGB", he said before standing up and shaking Richtofen's hand.

Both men sat down before the man continued.

"I heard you wanted to make a deal with the Motherland? The KGB is very aware of the research Germany undertook during the war. And we would very much like to continue it. What are your terms, Doctor?" Mr Merkulov decried at the latter.

Richtofen narrowed his eyes before clearing his throat.

"If jou vant to obtain our important vork I have a lisht of demands zhat musht be met before I had over any manuscripts to zhe Russian Government", Richtofen commanded defiantly which earned a raised eyebrow from the man.

"And what are these demands?" The man sneered.

Richtofen ignored him as he quietly put his briefcase on his lap and opened it. He subsequently produced a document titled "Richtofen's Provisions". He nonchalantly reached across the large desk and handed it to Mr Merkulov - who gingerly read every word. After a minute or two, he looked up at Richtofen in disbelief.

"Doctor, surely you don't want--", his voice shook before being cut off by Richtofen.

"If jou cannot meet such shimple demands I shall have no choice but to pass zhe shcientific baton to zhe Americans", Richtofen stated matter-of-fact.

"Oh no, you needn't do such a thing Doctor! I was just a bit surprised at the... eclectic list of items you require", Mr Merkulov reassured.

"I vant everyzhing on zhat lisht. I have shtipulated every detail in vhich it must be delivered to me. Vonce jou shee to zhem, I shall have mein men deliver zhe manuscripts und zhe Ascension Group can begin zheir vork", Richtofen said.

Mr Merkulov looked visibly uncomfortable.

"I-- uh-- I thought you brought them with you today", Mr Merkulov said in a shaky voice.

"Nein. Jou vill fulfill zhe list firsht", Richtofen stated before looking at Mr Merkulov expectantly.

After a few seconds, the man relented.

"Very well, Doctor. I will have my men see to it", the man replied submissively.

Richtofen stood up and left the room without a word. His large strides allowed him to quickly traverse the large office before the doors automatically opened before him. Mr Merkulov sat quietly as he watched the German leave. Once the doors closed again, he held up Richtofen's list of demands before reading some of them aloud to himself.

"One pet monkey.

One recording of Igor Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring".

One cosmonaut suit and lunar lander - coordinates to be specified.

One miniature replica of St Basil's Cathedral.

One Faberge egg yolk.

and...

One bottle of Stalin's vodka (to see what all the fuss is about)."

Mr Merkulov shook his head in disbelief and let out a sigh.

"What a strange man..."

End of part twenty-eight...