Chapter 54

Brittany's pov

Jason finally pulls up. I'm excited to meet Lily. I decorated the room with butterfly wall stickers and me and Chris painted it purple. He got her out. She looked like she'd been crying for a while. Poor little girl. Chris, Memphis, and Jeremy were waiting on the front steps. Jason gives me that look of we need to talk. Chris smiles and nods in understanding. "Hey Lily. My name's Chris. Welcome to your new home." The little angel smiles wearily. "How's about we show you your room?" Memphis asks as my wonderful loving husband sets her on shaking feet. "O-Okay." The children head inside and Jason pulls out a suitcase and a butterfly enclosure. He smiles but looks exhausted. "I'm so pissed at that bitch of a woman." He whispers, the smile vanishing instantly. I hug him. "She really likes butterflies." I say, pointing. He shrugs. "She begged to bring it with us. No harm I guess." We go inside. "I'm your honorary big brother." I hear Memphis say proudly. Jason sets the butterfly enclosure up as I go upstairs. "Hey Lily." I say, sitting on the ground beside her. She was holding onto a stuffed purple butterfly that we got. "Hey what's your favorite board game?" Jeremy suddenly asks, walking to the closet. "I... I L-Like playing candyland. It... It's o-one of my favorite g-games." The shaky girl whispers. We have every game known to man. This is our foster care room. Designed differently for every child that comes through our doors. This time it's designed for a frightened lonely 5 year old girl who likes butterflies and candyland.

Jason's pov

*A few days later*

Miranda and Garret came over to visit. I set up a slip n slide outside. "Hey I know it's not breakfast time but who wants blueberry pancakes?" My eldest daughter smiles and hugs me. "I love you Dad." "I love you too sweetheart." I say happily. Britt was watching the younger kiddos out back on the slip n slide. "How's Lily adjusting?" Garret asks. "Much better than I thought she would." I say, getting started on pancakes. "How's about y'all's little roomies?" Miranda laughs. "Moved out surprisingly. You won't believe this but that guy bought a goddamned lottery ticket and actually won!" My jaw drops. "No way!" "Yeah believe me I didn't expect it." "Lucky MFer." Garret mutters, sipping from a Coke bottle.  Miranda laughs and hugs him as I look out the window at the family. Sweet little Lily was having the time of her life. I bet she hasn't felt that in a while. "Hey Dad, how much do you like being a dad?" Miranda suddenly asks, catching me off guard. "I... I love it. Why?" She smiles. "Well what do you think about being a granddad?" She asks. I stare at her confused then suddenly there's a loud pounding on the door. "Whoa. Whoever that is sounds pissed." I mumble. "What... What did you mean?" I say, walking to the door. It suddenly slammed open. An oldish woman stood there furious. "Where is she?! Where's my granddaughter?!" Max pulled up and rushed up. "What the heck?!" I gape. "Where's Lily!? I know she's here!!" The woman yells. "She's not seeing anyone that will hurt her." I say, blocking her from going further. "It's okay, Jason. This is Evelyn, Lily's grandmother. Don't worry. She's cool. And fucking pissed about what her daughter in law did." Oh. "Calm down before I let you back there. She's pretty traumatized after what happened." She was shaking with anger but tried to calm down. "I'm sorry. For busting in." Not gonna mention she interrupted something. I need to know what Miranda meant. "I... When I found out what she did... I... Look Lily's father is my son. He died fighting in Iraq. She's been squandering his life insurance and Lily's college fund on frivilous jewelry and spa trips, I've been trying to get custody for months and then she goes and does this." "It's alright. You can see her once you've calmed down." I say, sighing and sitting on the couch. "We've already talked and Evelyn is going to get full custody." Max says, looking out of breath and frazzled. Garret was a little stunned. Evelyn was finally calm enough and headed out back. Miranda sat beside me and hugged me. "You alright?" She asks. I nod. "It just threw me off there sith everything happening all at once." "So you never answered my question." She says, smiling, looking super excited all of a sudden. Garret smiles. Max looks super confused along with me obviously. "Yeah why are you asking about me being a granddad? I'm not a-" I freeze as I realize. I shakily stand up, my jaw dropping. "W-Wait! Are you serious?!" I cry caught off guard. "You... You're... I'm... You're...." I can't get the words out I'm so in shock. "Daddy me and Garret are going to have a baby!" I hug her. "This is awesome!" I quickly run to the backyard and hug my loving caring wife. "BABY WE'RE GOING TO BE GRANDPARENTS!!!" I shout shocking everyone in the backyard. "WHAT?!" Britt gasps, starting to cry with happiness. "You're pregnant!" She laughs and nods. Britt runs over and hugs them both. "I'm so excited!!!" She gasps, crying. I laugh softly. I can't believe this turn of events. I'm going to be a grandpa.