Chapter 49

Miranda's pov

Me and Chris were out to lunch catching up. "High school can be so rough." He says, propping his head on his hand. "Bro, you and I both know high school is nothing compared to everything else we've dealt with." He sighs. "Miranda, do you regret anything?" I froze up in surprise and was about to answer when I heard someone call my name. I turned around to see a gray haired woman. "I'm sorry, do I know you?" "You may not remember me. I'm Sylvia. We fostered you and your brother." Shock fills me. I shakily stand up, knocking the chair to the ground. She jumps slightly in surprise. "S-Sylvia. You... You gave us up. What do you want?" "We didn't want to give you up!" She gasps, walking over. I back up several steps. "Tell me why." I say, clenching my fists. "Why'd you abandon us?" She sighs. "Miranda I swear we didn't want to give you both up. But... We had to... Ya see we found out..... Dakota had cancer." My eyes go wide. My brother stands beside me, hugging me. "We didn't want you kids to suffer through that. It was... V-Very hard for me. I knew I couldn't take care of you the way you needed." "I... I'm sorry, Mrs. Sylvia." She walks over. My instinct tells me to run but I hold my ground and she hugs me. "You've grown into such an amazing young woman. And you, Chris! I don't even recognize you!" He forces a nervous smile. "So if you don't mind telling me... How's life?" I force a smile. "I... I'm a social worker. I... H-Help kids." Chris smiles. "She's really good at it. She's helped so many kids. She's so brave." I smile, feeling like I was gonna cry. I hug him tight. "We..... Our parents are foster parents for a little boy named Jeremy. And they saved a little girl named Sabrina, brought her back from the brink of insanity and found a loving home." "Oh we got a baby brother. Memphis... Well he isn't a baby anymore." She smiles. "Neither are you, Chris. Gosh you're almost taller than me!" My bro laughs. "I'm glad you're okay." She says hugging us both. "Thanks. For everything." I whisper.

*A few hours later*

Jason's pov

I was having a hard time falling asleep. It was getting late. There was a knock at the door which startled me out of my pants. (Not literally of course) "Who the heck is here this late?" I gape, scratching my head confused. "It's me daddy, ya got a minute." She sounds scared. I quickly open the door. "oh baby girl, of course I have time for you. You know you don't have to knock." She smiles, but looks like she's been crying. "Daddy, you're a redneck, I open the door without knocking, you'll have a gun loaded and ready." I laugh hysterically. "True. Very true. So what's up?" "I... I ran into someone today and now I'm really conflicted." "Who?" She sits on the couch, rubbing her arms. "My first real foster mom. I actually felt loved and at home with her and Dakota but then she gave us up. I always hated her and I never knew why she did... Until today... And I w-was... I can't believe what happened." Tears welled up in her eyes but she didn't make a sound. "Hun?" I gasp, sitting beside her and hugging her. "She only gave us up cause.... Dakota had cancer... I'm freaked out and mad at myself because I always resented her for making me care... Making me... Feel loved.... Like I b-belonged only t-to.... To-" She starts full blown sobbing. I hug her tight. "Shh shh. It's okay, Miranda. You're okay." I let her cry for a few minutes. "Hey if she didn't give you up, me and Britt never woulda found ya." "I g-guess s-so b-but I still feel so bad." "Baby you were just a little kid. Nobody blames you. God I love you so much, sweetheart." "I l-love you too Dad." She smiles through the tears. "Here how's about you stay here for the night. Your room's still the same and I'll make blueberry pancakes tomorrow morning?" She laughs slightly. "Oh I missed your special occasion blueberry pancakes!" I smile and kiss her forehead. "love ya Hun. Now go get some sleep and loosen your belt for the pancake smorgasbord tomorrow." "I love you too, dad." She heads to the staircase. "Oh... And... Thanks for everything... For taking a chance on the trouble case. I can't think of anyone I'm more grateful for." Wow. "God you're gonna make your old man cry." She laughs softly and heads upstairs. I can't help but smile. Then I yawn. "Heh heh, welp, time to hit the hay. Got a big day tomorrow." I check to make sure I have pancake ingredients stocked up then I head to bed myself. Ya did good Aldean. Ya did good.