Chapter 68

Jason's pov

I was about to head back up to the building when Jeremy asked if he could go with me. I'm nervous about it for some reason. "Why do you want to?" I ask. "I dunno." He says, shrugging. "I got nothing going on." "I... I well... I guess you can. I'm just not sure you'll like it." He walks out to my truck without saying anything. "Is he okay?" I ask myself worried. "Did you come up with a name for the place, dad?" Memphis asks, writing something while sitting on the couch. "Not yet. If you think of something, text me." I say, heading for the door. I get in my truck and we head down there. I couldn't find Max so I just walked around, checking on everything. I was happy to see Zoe, one of our volunteers teaching a sewing class. Several girls and surprisingly one boy were enjoying the class. There was a basketball game going on in the gym. "Who's team is winning?" I ask. "Blue." The kid says, pointing. I make some rounds and found a kid in his room alone. I knock lightly on the door and he quickly turns around spooked. "Whoops didn't mean to startle ya. Sorry bout that." "W-What's up?" He mumbles, looking at the ground and sitting back down. "Just checkin' in on folks. Seeing how everyone is settling in." I sit on the bed. He keeps avoiding eye contact for some reason. "Everything okay?" I ask. He's so nervous and jittery. Poor kid. "Yeah... I... Um... I'm just not good... At t-talking." He mumbles,  his hands tense around his arms. "How old are you?" "14... I... Before you ask anything else, I'm autistic. I can't make eye contact without feeling uncomfortable and I don't like to be touched. J-Just in case." He says. "Oh. OK that's alright. I just wanted to make sure you're settling in okay." "I... I am. M-Max actually got me a s-sotering iron. I'm gonna m-make some crafts with it." He says, smiling. It's good to see him smile. Wow. I just realized I never got his name. "You're into making stuff, huh?" I ask. He nods. "I'm thinking of taking up w-woodburning." Hm. I love a good creative type. "Well I'm a musician. We both like creative stuff. Maybe we can work on something together. I wouldn't mind giving it a go if you don't mind teaching me." The kid looked a little shocked. "R-Really?" "Of course! I uh I didn't get your name." "Oh uh I'm Ben."

*a few hours later*

Woodburning is actually alot of fun. I made a little sign for Brittany to hang outside. He made a sign for his door. "Th-Thanks for hanging out with me." "It was my pleasure." I say. Suddenly a bell rings. "What was that?" I gape. He had covered his ears. "D-Dinner bell. I wish it wasn't a bell!" He murmurs, tense and nervous again. Hm.. We go to dinner and I find Max. He was counting heads, making sure everyone was eating. Jeremy stood beside him. "Ya know Ben in room 19." I say, leaning against the wall beside him. "Yeah what's up?" "Well he's autistic and loud noises bother him. Is there anything we can do to change the bell sound in his room?" "I'm open to suggestions." He says. "Oh how about a screen of some kind. Maybe it can be connected to the main office and you can send a message through that." Jeremy says. "That's a great idea!" I smile proud and hug my son. "Love ya kiddo." Then I notice,  the boy from the first day, the one who first protested, glaring at us angrily. I nervously start to walk over but he quickly turns to leave. "Brandon." I call. He freezes, tensed up. "Leave me alone, bitch." He mutters, walking out the door. "What's wrong? Why are you so upset?" I ask. "Shut up old man. You'll never understand. You'll never be able to help me! Just leave me the fuck alone!" He angrily walks off. "Wait you need to eat at least!" He just continues walking and I'm not sure what to do.