Chapter 4

Miranda's pov

Me and Chris were playing in a creek on the property. I hate to admit. It hasn't been so bad here. But the problem with that.... Is as soon as I feel at home. Something bad always happens. Chris was splashing in the water. I smiled from the riverbank. At least one of us is having a good time. It was getting late so we headed back to the house. I'm caught off guard when there's presents in the living room. I grab Chris's hand before he goes to them. They walk out of the kitchen. "They're for you." He says, putting a hand on my back and pushing me towards one. Chris runs over and pulls the tissue paper out.  I'm nervous. I glance at him. He just smiles. I walk over and pull a light blue dress out. Wow. It's beautiful.

Jason's pov

Chris is ecstatic when he pulls the Batman racetrack out. "Racers!!" He gasps running to get his matchbox cars. I can't keep a smile off my face. Miranda starts to cry worrying me. "Are you alright?" I ask kneeling down beside her. "I'm f-fine." "No you're not. What's wrong?" She cries harder and I hug her. She wraps her arms around my neck and cries. "I miss my mom... M-More than anything." She whimpers through her tears. I hug her tightly. "If I could take back every mean thing I ever said to her... I w-would in a heartbeat. I wanna hold her hand again." I wish there was something I could do. I worriedly glance at Brittany. Max called earlier saying there was a couple who might want to adopt them both. "Do you wanna try on your dress?" Britt asks. "Y-Yeah. Thanks. I love it." I smile. She goes to try it on. Brittany takes Chris upstairs for his bath. The couple should be here in ten minutes. I'm nervous as to how she'll react. She walks back out in the dress. "You look awesome princess." She sits beside me on the floor by Chris's new racetrack. "I'm sorry." "It's okay honey. I know life's been hard for you and you're frustrated." I hear the car pull into the drive. She hears it too and shakily stands up. "Y-You... You promised!" "We aren't giving you back, Miranda!" I say grabbing her hand. "It's a family who wants to adopt you and Chris." She's scared. I can tell. "Don't you worry. I won't let them take you if they don't have what it takes." She needs someone she can count on. I won't let her go with anyone til I know 100% they're in it for the long run. She hides behind me as Brittany walks down carrying Chris. He sets him down and he runs to his racetrack first thing. Miranda quickly walks over to him. "Hi, my name's Janice and this is my husband Patrick." "My name's Jason and this is my wife Brittany. Let's talk in the other room."

Miranda's pov

I knew it. Right when I got comfortable here, something bad would happen. I'm so sick of being lied to and empty promises. I walk over to the door to listen. "If you can't handle a girl with trust and anger issues, you can't handle her." Jason says, shocking me. "She's been let down so many times. I won't get her hopes up again." "I think we can handle it." The new woman says. "Either you think or you know. I've only been a foster parent for a few weeks and I know for a fact she isn't walking out that door without her little brother." "Well we plan on adopting her first and seeing how she reacts then coming back for the brother." The look on his face turns fierce. "You'll adopt them both or neither of them." Wow.

*Later*

I can't stop thinking about earlier and how fierce he got defending me. Maybe this one is different. I sigh and stare at the ceiling. Even if he's different, that doesn't mean he wants to keep us. We're just foster kids. Not adoptive kids. The door opens and I pretend to be asleep. I hear the click of the lamp beside my bed being turned off. The open book I had in my lap gets picked up. I dare to peek an eye open as Jason walks back to the door. I turn on my side, facing away from him. Why am I so nervous?

Jason's pov

I hear her whisper my name. Then she sits up. "What's up?" I say sitting, beside her on the bed. "Are you.... I mean do you..... Ever wanna have kids of your own?" Um.... "Well... I haven't talked about it with Brittany." I say nervously. She's so scared and worried. "I promise sweetie, I won't let them separate you. No matter what." "You promise?" She asks holding up her pinkie. I smile and pinkie promise her. "Yeah. I promise. I understand why you're so untrusting. I just want you to know. I do care about you." I hug her. "Now get some sleep. I've got a big day planned for us tomorrow." Her eyes go wide in surprise. I smile. "What is it?" "It's a surprise, silly." I say, tucking her in. She smiles. "Thank you, Jason." "You're welcome sweetheart."