"Did you, by any chance, have a surprise spelling bee today?" her dad asks.

"Um, yes, I did."

"And what were the results of that spelling bee?" Eleanor questions.

Feeling a little more confident, Lacey answers, "I came in first place for the third and fourth graders."

Time stands still for what seems like hours as Lacey waits for her parents to speak again. "Why would I be in trouble for coming in first place? Maybe they're mad because I did better than the grade four kids who are older than me. But that's not my fault."

Suddenly, her parents burst into a round of applause before running around the table cheering and screaming. "Congratulations!" they both exclaim.

"You've made us so proud!"

"You're our smart little cookie!"

"Our little third grader is smarter than the fourth graders!"

She can not even tell who was saying what as she is smothered in kisses and tight hugs. She bursts into a fit of giggles as they shower her with love and affection. These are the parents she is used to. The ones who act as if the sun rises and sets on her. The ones who never neglected to encourage her and show her how much they love her.

After a few moments, they finally release Lacey, breathless and drunk on their love. "Martin, I hope you remembered to pick up the cake," Eleanor states quizzically, as she folds her arms and raises a brow at her husband.

"Of course I did, Ellie," he shoots back, "What do you take me for?"

"A scatterbrained scientist."

"She's got me there," Martin says with wink at Lacey who giggles. "What do you think, Lace? Did your old man remember to bring his favourite daughter her favourite cake to celebrate?"

"I sure hope you did, Dad" she retorts. "And I'm your only daughter."

"I told you we raised a smart one, Ellie," he says with pride. "Never change, Lacey. Never change."

They all laugh as Martin goes to retrieve the ice cream cake from the freezer.

********

Knock! Knock! Knock!

Lacey is woken up out of her sleep at the sound of loud pounding at the front door. She hears one of her parents run down the stairs to see who it is. Disoriented, she tries to fall back to sleep. Drifting between dreamland and consciousness, she hears what sounds like voices yelling but she does not recognize them. Then she hears her dad's voice. He sounds scared. She jumps out of bed and starts to walk towards her door when it suddenly springs open.

"Lacey, sweetie, what are you doing out of bed?" Eleanor asks.

"I heard loud noises and then Daddy sounded scared, so I was coming to help."

"Honey, this is a problem for us big people, okay? I need you to stay in your room."

Even with the lights off, she could tell that something seemed different with her mom. She did not know why, but she suddenly felt very afraid. "Mommy, I'm scared."

"You don't have to be scared, sweetie," her mom reassures her. "I just need you to stay here, okay? No matter what happens, no matter what you hear, you need to stay in here and don't move. Do you understand me?"

"But what about Daddy?"

"No buts, Lacey," Eleanor commands. "You've always been such a good girl and Mommy loves you very much. I need you to keep being that good girl and listen to me, alright?"

"Okay, Mommy. I will."

As her eyes adjust to the dark, Lacey can see fear in her mother's eyes. She knows something is wrong. Her mother looks around the room frantically, as if she is trying to find something.

"Go and hide under your bed."

"But it's scary under there."

"Lacey, go!" her mom shouts.

Lacey's eyes fill with tears at her mom's sudden outburst. Eleanor's face immediately falls as she realizes what just happened.

"I'm sorry, baby," she says soothingly. "Mommy really just needs to get back to Daddy and wants you to be safe. Can you please go under the bed for me?"

All she wanted to do was make her mom happy like she always did so she swallows down her fear and nods her head.

"Good girl."

Lacey grabs her favourite stuffed animal and blanket from the bed and makes her way under the bed. Eleanor leans down and gives her hand a squeeze.

"Lacey, I hope you know I love you with all my heart."

"I know, Mommy."

"You've always been a very good girl, the best girl actually," she says with a smile. "And I need you to promise me something."

The little girl tries to put on her brave face for her mom. Her heart is pounding in her chest and she has no idea what is happening.

"Promise me that no matter what happens, and no matter what you hear, you will stay in this spot and not move a muscle."

"Mommy, I'm scared," she says, voice trembling with fear.

"I know you are, sweetie," her mom says with a smile. "It will all be okay. You just wait here until I come back for you, okay?"

The thought of her mother coming back for her brought a sense of relief for Lacey. "You promise you're coming back?"

Eleanor hesitates for a moment before answering. "I promise you will be safe, Lacey. You be a good girl and listen to Mommy and I'll come back for you, alright?"

"I will, Mommy. I promise I'll be good."

"That's my girl," she says lovingly before taking another quick look around. The sound of loud voices breaks their tender moment. "I have to go help Daddy now. I love you so much, Lacey. Don't you ever forget that. And don't you ever change."

"I love you too, Mommy," she whispers. "Both you and Daddy."

Lacey watches as her mother takes one final glance before walking out the door and closing it. She hears her mother's footsteps making their way downstairs followed by more yelling. She clutches her blanket and teddy bear tight, repeating her mother's mantra to her. Be a good girl and Mommy will come back. Be a good girl and Mommy will come back.

As if this becomes her lullaby, Lacey slowly drifts off to sleep. She dreams of hugs and kisses from her parents as they tuck her into bed; ice cream cakes and spelling bees; road trips and walks to the park. Her dreams remind her of her perfect little life, surrounded by love and adored by her parents.