The Fifth Trumpet: Locusts from the Bottomless Pit (II)

Locusts as Demons or Fallen Angels

The most common interpretation for the 5th trumpet locusts is that they are supernatural beings, either demons or fallen angels. I believe the biggest hint for their identities is Revelation 9:11, "And they had as king over them the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon, but in Greek he has the name Apollyon". The king they had over them is noted to be an angel, most likely a fallen angel. This is not the first time we get mention of a fallen angels sealed at the bottomless pit. In Genesis 6:4, we're told that the "sons of God" reproduced with women and bore giants as a result.

These "sons of God" are in fact angels. I go into this idea in depth in my series on Genesis 6. This idea is seen in Jude 1:6 and 2 Peter 2:4-5 and specifically talks about the punishment for these angels' transgressions. They both say they were chained under darkness reserved for judgement. 2 Peter 2:4 gives us a better hint at where this "darkness" is, stating that God cast them to "hell". Usually the word "hell" in the bible is translated from the Hebrew word "Sheol" or from the Greek word "Hades" meaning an abode for the dead. However, here in Greek it's "tartaroō" or also known as "tartarus".

The ancient Greeks regarded tartarus as a dungeon of torment for the wicked dead "where they suffer punishment for their evil deeds". It can be defined as the "deepest abyss of Hades". Tartarus as a concept here was most likely used because it was a well known idea of the time in the area. In Luke 8:31, we also see a demon beg Jesus not to send him into the "abyss" which we can assume is the bottomless abyss and by extension most likely tartaros in 2 Peter 2:4-5.

Understanding this, we can now apply this to Apollyon as well as the "locusts". Apollyon is regarded as an angel who is king over the bottomless pit, most likely a higher ranking angel who was part of the "sons of God" from Genesis 6:4 along with the "locusts". These may be fallen angelic beings that are now released for this purpose before their final judgement. Looking at Luke 8:31, we also know that demons can end up at the bottomless pit as well so Apollyon may be the only angel while the locusts are in fact demonic entities. Either way, I believe these are supernatural beings.

John Walvoord, also believing these locusts to be demons ties in the nature of demonic affliction to these locusts and how a Christ rejecting mankind will be afflicted for 5 months, "As is common in demonic affliction as recorded in the Gospels, those in the grip of demons are not free to exercise their own will and therefore are not free to take their own lives. Even the hope of death to deliver them from their present troubles is taken away from them in that dark hour. They are left to face then-trial and affliction without any way of escape," (Revelation of Jesus Christ, 109).

Walvoord also states his views concerning the physical characteristics of these locusts, "In verse 9, the locusts are declared to have breastplates of iron, implying that they are immune to destruction. They are also equipped with wings which give forth the sound of many chariots going to battle, implying speed and the impossibility of evading their attack. Particular attention is given to their tails, which are compared to those of scorpions and by which they have power to hurt men for five months," (Revelation of Jesus Christ, 110).

Bullinger also believes these locusts are supernatural in nature but due to their appearance, likens them to cherubim, "These were no ordinary locusts. Those that came in the plagues of Egypt were no common locusts either, for we are told "before them there were no such locusts as they, neither after them shall be such" (Ex. x. 14). Ordinary locusts have "no king" (Prov. xxx. 27); but these have; and his name is given (verse 11). They seem, from their description, to be a kind of Infernal Cherubim. The horse, the man, the lion, and the scorpion are combined in them," (The Apocalypse or the "Day of the Lord", 215).

The Seal of God

The last thing I wanted to touch on for the 5th trumpet are those who have the seal of God on their foreheads (Revelation 9:4). This is the only group exempt from the torment of the 5th trumpet's locusts. We first get mention of the seal of God in Revelation 7 before the trumpet judgments begin, "Then I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God. And he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and the sea, 3 saying, 'Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads,'" (Revelation 7:2-3). We can see this in places such as 2 Timothy 2:19 and John 6:27.

In Ezekiel 9, we get a similar picture of people being sealed before a coming judgement,

"...And He called to the man clothed with linen, who had the writer's inkhorn at his side; and the Lord said to him, 'Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and cry over all the abominations that are done within it.' To the others He said in my hearing, 'Go after him through the city and kill; do not let your eye spare, nor have any pity. Utterly slay old and young men, maidens and little children and women; but do not come near anyone on whom is the mark...'" (Ezekiel 9:3-6)

This mark on the foreheads of believers would be a spiritual mark used as identification of God's chosen. This idea of a spiritual mark is why many also believe the mark of the beast may not be physical but is actually a spiritual identification to those who worship the antichrist. Some believe having the mark on the forehead means you're thinking and heart is evil while the mark on your hand represents doing evil.

I don't agree with this view because we know those who don't have it can't buy or sell. No one would be able to discern who truly has this mark in order to buy or sell if it's a spiritual one.