The 7 Spirits of God (II)

John describes an image of Jesus as a slain lamb with 7 horns and 7 eyes. What does this mean? This will not be the first mention of "horns" in Revelation or the bible to denote a certain idea. We see the image of horns being used with the red dragon of Revelation 12:3, "And another sign appeared in heaven: behold, a great, fiery red dragon having seven heads and ten horns, and seven diadems on his heads". Similarly we also see this with the beast of the sea in Revelation 13:1, the beast of the earth in Revelation 13:11, and the harlot – Mystery Babylon – which rides the scarlet beast in Revelation 17:3 and Revelation 17:7.

 Similarly we also see this with the beast of the sea in Revelation 13:1, the beast of the earth in Revelation 13:11, and the harlot – Mystery Babylon – which rides the scarlet beast in Revelation 17:3 and Revelation 17:7

Again, when we are uncertain with these kind of ideas, we only need to look to the Old Testament. The book of Daniel also contains similar prophecies concerning future kingdoms and kings (Daniel 7:7-8, 20-21, 24, Daniel 8:3, 5-9, 20-22). I won't be delving into the meaning of all of this in this article but I encourage you to dig through these passages in your free time. So what does all of this talk of horns mean? As confusing as this all may seem on the first read, the bible just gives us the answer which is refreshing. Daniel 8:20-22 tells us the horns which Daniel has been getting visions of represent a type of authority, in this case, kings or kingdoms.

"The ram which you saw, having the two horns—they are the kings of Media and Persia. And the male goat is the kingdom of Greece. The large horn that is between its eyes is the first king. As for the broken horn and the four that stood up in its place, four kingdoms shall arise out of that nation, but not with its power." (Daniel 8:20-22)

Likewise we get a similar answer in Revelation with what John was shown, "The ten horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast. These are of one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast". So from this we can see that horns is used to symbolize authority and in those cases are used specifically for kings and kingdoms. When we go back to Revelation 5:6 and apply this same symbolism here we can see that the representation of Jesus as the slain lamb with 7 horns denotes his authority. We can go even deeper to analyze the significance of the number of horns – being 7 (a symbol with God representing perfection or completion) – to signify Jesus complete and perfect authority over the earth.

We now have a better understanding of how the symbol of horns is used for authority, but what about the 7 eyes? I believe less digging into scripture is required for this one. Eyes are used to see and perceive our surroundings. From Revelation 5:6 we're shown 7 eyes just like the 7 horns. Again, by following the same frame work we previously learned we know that 7 symbolizes perfection so a picture of the 7 eyes would be showing Jesus' omniscience – that he sees all and understandably so as he is fully God.