The 24 Elders - Timing of events

Before getting into the identity of the elders, I first want to talk about how I feel the events in Revelation occurs using chapter 5 as an example, specifically the timing in which Jesus appears in heaven to take the sealed scroll.  

At the time, John arrived in heaven after talking to the glorified Jesus from Revelation 1-3, there is no one with the ability to open the sealed book which should be noted, "And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon. And I wept much, because no man was found worthy to open and to read the book, neither to look thereon." (Revelation 5:3-4). I personally believe that the book of Revelation isn't linear and part of the reason I hold onto that belief is the next couple of verses in which the person that IS worthy to unseal this book appears,

"And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth. And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne... And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation..." (Revelation 5:5-7, 9).

I think that any Christian that's familiar with the imagery used with Jesus (Lion of the tribe of Judah and the Lamb that was slain) won't be surprised to realize that this is Jesus appearing here in heaven taking the sealed book. The timing that I said we need to pay attention to earlier has to do with Jesus appearing in heaven, taking the sealed book, and beginning to unseal this book in relation to where and WHEN Jesus and John were beforehand when Jesus was addressing the letters to the 7 churches. In Revelation 1:10, John says that he was "in the spirit on the Lord's day" - the Lord's Day being a reference to the tribulation - so he's letting us know that he's seeing into the future with these events. In Revelation 5, we see that the person that's worthy to take the sealed book isn't in heaven at this moment. In fact, he's not on earth either or even under the earth, "And no man in heaven, nor in earth, neither under the earth, was able to open the book, neither to look thereon" (Revelation 5:3).  

This language and specification of locations to me is interesting. We can assume that this man they're referencing before revealing him later is Jesus, the lamb that WAS slain, "And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain... And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood" (Revelation 5:6, 9). When Jesus appears in heaven at this moment John as well as the 4 beasts and 24 elders regard Jesus as the lamb that was slain, immediately as he appears in heaven. This leads me to believe that before he appeared, he hadn't yet been slain so he couldn't have been resurrected and ascended to heaven yet. This would make sense as Jesus is the one appointed to unseal this book but he cant do it as he is if he's still on earth ministering. He physically couldn't do it because he wasn't in heaven and he also hadn't yet completed his mission and returned to his divine state after his resurrection. I also believe that the location references was part of this, especially the "under the earth" portion which is most likely a reference Jesus was in hell before his resurrection as written in Acts 2:22-28. He definitely couldn't open it at that time either. However, after he ascends and arrives in heaven at the right hand of the father, in all his glory and majesty, he can continue his role in heaven. So John, at this point, could have been seeing into the past, a past time in which Jesus was yet to be resurrected and ascend to heaven. I believe that if John wasn't seeing past events then there would be slight disconnect with the nature of events.  

Specifically, we know that Jesus at the time of addressing the letters to the 7 churches was in his resurrected, glorified form, meaning that he already ascended to heaven and must have taken the scroll. Following this logic, how could it be declared right after those letters are written and John goes up to heaven that there was no one on or under earth or in heaven who could open the sealed book even though Jesus was already "there" to open it and he is the lamb that was slain? Could the passage simply mean that he wasn't physically in heaven at the time to open it even though he was resurrected? But if that's the case then where else could he be if not on or under the earth or in heaven? Once we realize that the events may not be in a linear fashion as written, the passage makes more sense timing wise. On to the identity of the 24 elders!