xxii. babysitting duty

Gummy worms weren't something Kamille regularly found herself snacking on pre-apocalypse, and it definitely wasn't something she figured she'd find during the apocalypse

Gummy worms weren't something Kamille regularly found herself snacking on pre-apocalypse, and it definitely wasn't something she figured she'd find during the apocalypse. But this truck stop was stocked to the brim with food and snacks, so when she decided she wasn't that hungry at dinner time, she settled in the corner of the shelves with a pack of gummy worms and a lamp to light up the small corner of the dark store.

She was growing tired, the day seeming to drag on for ages, but her worry for Mía was keeping her up. It didn't help that the gummy worms reminded her of the young girl as she would have loved the sweets like any kid would.

Kamille resorted to chewing on the gummy worms as she stared ahead at the stocked shelf before her. Getting lost in her thoughts was getting easier and easier nowadays; she just hoped she'd drift off to sleep.

She'd checked on everyone earlier, knowing Luciana was resting up and John and June were having some alone time between them. Al was reviewing footage from earlier that day, too distracted to talk to, and Alicia was still outside distracting herself by killing infected. Morgan had tried checking on her not long ago, but when he came back looking fed up, Kamille knew it hadn't gone so well.

She wasn't sure what to do or say to Alicia at the moment. Everything that had happened, all they had worked towards had been a lie. And though it pissed Kamille off that they'd got played, she knew she'd get over it. Alicia was different though. This was her second chance and now it was ruined. At least that's what she thought.

As Kamille grabbed another gummy worm, she heard footsteps approaching her and eventually looked up to see, to her utmost surprise, Alicia. She bent down and sat beside Kamille, leaning against the shelf and stretching her legs before her.

Kamille looked away and didn't know what to say, noticing the lack of words from the brunette. So, she offered the pack of sweets towards Alicia and shook the bag slightly.

"Want a sweet?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

Alicia pursed her lips, nervous eyes flickering up to Kamille's. After a moment of deliberation, she accepted the offer and pulled out a gummy worm.