iv. long time no see

Kamille pulled out the onions from the soil and smiled at how big they were

Kamille pulled out the onions from the soil and smiled at how big they were. She'd done a good job at planting them to say it was her first time doing so – the gardening books Oliver had found weren't complete shit after all!

"They'll go nice with the potatoes and leeks."

Kamille looked up and saw Mía standing over her, before kneeling down beside her on the grass.

Kamille smiled at her, humming in agreement. "You're right. How does soup sound for dinner?"

"Sounds perfect," Mía answered with a knowing smile, before helping Kamille to pull out the rest of the onions they had grown.

Kamille was picking soil from her fingernails with mild annoyance when Mía spoke up again, sounding timid.

"Do you think we'll stay here forever?"

Looking up with curious eyes, Kamille saw the nervousness woven into Mía's gaze. Using her forearm to push hair from her eyes, Kamille straightened up and offered a small smile at the younger girl.

"Not forever, but it's the safest place we've got," she answered truthfully, noticing the way Mía's shoulders sank with disappointment. Curiously, she asked, "Why? What's on your mind?"

Mía looked up thoughtfully, as if debating whether to share her thoughts. Kamille nudged her playfully, offering a supportive smile, making Mía return the smile and straighten up a little.

"I don't know," she admitted. "I guess, I can't help but wonder whether this is all it will be. My life. I've never been anywhere but here really. I want to meet people, you know?"

Kamille sighed quietly. "Oliver is doing his best. He's taking it a day at a time."

"I know, and I'm so grateful," Mía quickly said. "I love him for what he's doing. Both of you... I just, I thought it would be nice to make more friends. Who were maybe my age."