xix. a little bit of fun

Start from the beginning

Her green eyes pierced through Kamille, making the Brit look away and smile to distract from the warmth spreading across her cheeks.

"It'll make a lot of things difficult, that's for sure," Kamille said, pulling her hand away and trying to lighten the mood.

"Good thing it was your left hand and not your right," Alicia played along, still watching her with bright eyes.

"Let's high five to that," Kamille agreed, raising her left hand.

Barely thinking about it, Alicia raised her hand to high five her, only to realise what Kamille had done.

"High three?" Kamille teased, making Alicia roll her eyes and shove her in the arm playfully.

Laughter escaped Kamille's lips as she watched Alicia's face turn pink with embarrassment.

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," Kamille apologised, resisting the urge to grin. "I pinky promise I won't do it again."

"Good," Alicia said, glaring jokingly her way before raising her pinky in the air.

Kamille raised her left hand, clearly no pinky to raise, only making Alicia groan as she realised she'd been played. Once again, Kamille laughed at the way Alicia pretended to be annoyed when her eyes glimmered with anything but.

"How many more of these shitty jokes am I to expect?" she asked between a facepalm, raising an eyebrow.

Kamille grinned at her. "Depends how many more I can think of."

Alicia gave her a knowing look, trying to keep a straight face, but the longer Kamille grinned at her, the more a smile broke out onto her face. Eventually, she was covering her face with her hands, making Kamille laugh at her dismay. It was nice to make light of the situation, Kamille thought, and she'd missed taking the mick out of Alicia.

"You're such an asshole, Kam," Alicia grumbled, shaking her head.

Kamille's laughter faded as she bit her lower lip with realisation.

Alicia gave her a knowing look, as if expecting more teasing. "What is it now?"

Feeling unusually calm, Kamille stared at her with peaceful eyes. "You– you called me Kam."

Alicia's smile faded and was replaced by an awkward one. "Oh, er– I– sorry. I didn't realise I–"

"No, no, it's okay," Kamille cut her off with a smile, hoping to reassure her. "It's okay. I just–" She breathed out slowly. "I haven't heard that in a while, that's all."

Alicia tilted her head to the side, eyes still apologetic. "I don't have to call you that if you don't want me to."

"It's okay," Kamille repeated with a slight nod, before sheepishly admitting, "I missed it."

Alicia pursed her lips, trying to hide her surprise. "You did?"

Kamille suddenly felt embarrassed. "I– yeah."

Alicia nodded, looking down and smiling to herself. Kamille looked away, questioning her own sanity as she realised what she'd just said.