xvii. a messy plan

Start from the beginning

"Miss Nobody finally has a face," the man in the middle said with a devilish smile. Kamille recognised it as the man from the radio. "A pretty one, too."

Kamille tensed her jaw, imagining the eye roll Alicia was giving him.

"We have the supplies," Alicia stated confidently, competing with the sound of the rain.

"I see that," he answered, taking a better look at the back of the pickup truck that they'd stocked with supplies. "I see you've got a little helper in the truck, too."

Kamille's knuckles turned white as she
continued to grip the steering wheel, seeing everyone turning her way.

Alicia cleared her throat, trying to take the attention away from Kamille. "Three people was one of the conditions. She's the driver."

The man smiled mischievously. "Right. Of course."

"Are we going to trade or what?" John asked, adjusting his hat. "This rain is only gettin' worse."

The man chuckled dryly. "What's the rush? Let's all just introduce ourselves. I'm Tyler Evans. And you?" He looked to Alicia patiently.

"That's not important," she answered simply.

He frowned. "Well, you see, Miss Nobody, I like to know who I'm doing business with. And I find it very funny that you want to trade Mía over here after we took her from her home many months ago. You must know her, correct?"

Mía stood there awkwardly, crossing her arms and hugging herself as she got soaked. Kamille needed this to go well.

Alicia hesitated, before answering, "My name is Alicia. Alicia Clark."

Kamille saw Mía's face flash with recognition and hoped she would put the pieces together. She had to know Kamille was getting her back.

"Alicia Clark," Tyler repeated. "Well, Alicia, can you remind me again why you want to trade supplies for the girl?"

"Does it matter?" she retorted.

Tyler chuckled. "Okay, fine. I couldn't give a shit." He looked to the two men with him and nodded. "Pack the truck."

"Yes, sir," they chorused, before moving forward.

Alicia and John stepped to the side as one of the men pulled down the tailgate. The other walked down the side of the car curiously, getting a little too close to the driver's seat for Kamille's liking.

"The supplies are over here," Alicia called to him, biting back the anger.

Kamille turned her head, trying not to look out the window and give away her identity. She caught sight of his reflection in the side mirror though, recognising him as the man who had taken Mía in the first place.

"Over here, Pax," Tyler called with amusement, clearly loving the agitation he was causing Alicia.

Pax backed up, getting the hint, but he stared a second too long and his eyes widened when he met Kamille's gaze. He opened his mouth to speak – probably to warn his friends – but Kamille was quicker as she opened the car door and slammed it into him, making him drop his rifle. His grunt caught the others' attention, so she grabbed him and pulled out her gun, holding him hostage with the gun to his head.