xv. it's temporary

Start from the beginning

"They're looking a lot better," Kamille finished for her when she wouldn't, earning both of their attention. She continued, looking to June, saying, "We've been walking her around when she's up for it. She's not been coughing as much compared to the first few days."

"That's good, that means your breathing should feel a little better, right?" June asked Alicia.

"Yeah," she answered, and Kamille noticed a hand resting on her stomach where her bruises were. "I think I just need a shower if I'm being honest."

"Of course," June said with realisation. "We can go now if you want...?"

Alicia's cheeks were dusted pink as she said, "Actually, er, I was hoping that Kamille could... erm..."

She glanced at Kamille, certainly surprising the Brit.

Kamille raised her eyebrows. "Oh, yeah, 'course," she answered quickly, a little too quickly, hoping nobody noticed.

"Okay, well, I guess I'll leave you both to it," June said, looking between them both, before leaving them in the medbay.

"Sorry," Alicia apologised awkwardly, avoiding Kamille's eyes. "I would have asked someone else, but, er, you're the– you've already seen me, er..."

"It's cool, don't worry," Kamille replied, feeling her own cheeks grow warm with embarrassment. "Let's grab your clothes and we can go."

Alicia nodded and the the two of them collected her clothes, with Kamille grabbing a stool also, before heading to the shower.

"You sure you don't want a stool to sit on?" Kamille asked as Alicia stood in the shower cubicle, taking off her clothes.

"I'm sure," she said confidently. "I think I can manage."

"Okay, if you're certain," Kamille said with a hint of concern in her voice, leaving the stool next to her just in case. She collected the clothes Alicia hung over the shower door and put them by the sink to wash later. She sat on the sink counter and heard Alicia put the shower on. "You need anything, just let me know."

Alicia didn't say anything, but Kamille noticed her hand over the top of the door in a thumbs up gesture, making her smile.

It had been a week since the unfortunate incident with Kyan had occurred and Alicia had been making slow but hopeful progress. She struggled to breathe properly at first, her bruised ribs causing a build-up of mucus and making her cough a lot. Her right eye was causing her a lot of hassle as well, but now she was doing a lot better in just a short amount of time.

Kamille rotated with the others in keeping Alicia company and looking after her, making sure she got her walks in and didn't overexert herself. Alicia was able to get off the drip and move back into her room after the first few days, but June kept up with the checkups, knowing it would still be a while before she was back to normal.

The bruising was still heavily prominent on her face and all over her torso, but Kamille knew they were getting better and no serious damage had been done. Still, it reminded her of what she'd almost lost because of a stupid mistake. She tried not to imagine the state she could have found Alicia in if she hadn't stopped Kyan in time...

Kamille was rocking her legs at the edge of the counter as she waited for Alicia to shower, but she stopped as soon as she heard Alicia coughing a little.