xiii. a familiar face

Start from the beginning

"Okay," Kamille agreed, before carefully moving to take her backpack off. "Look, there's no need for this. I can help you."

"Shut up," he muttered, glaring at her.

Kamille pursed her lips as she held out the backpack by the strap. "My name is Kamille. I'm part of a group. We've been looking for other people. We can help you."

He tore the bag from her grasp and dropped it in front of his feet. Kneeling down with his gun still pointed Kamille's way, he began to search through it.

"Are you alone?" she tried again.

He ignored her, pulling out a book with a look of disgust before throwing it to the side. Kamille sighed, pulling a face.

"Come on, I was reading that," she said, trying to lighten the mood.

He glanced at her before spotting something in her hand. "Drop that," he said quickly. "Whatever it is."

Kamille dropped the mints to the ground. "It was my find of the day, but sure, take the mints..."

He seemed confused as he looked up at her. "Why are you acting like that? Stop it."

Kamille refrained from smiling with amusement. "What's your name? I told you mine. S'only fair."

He seemed reluctant and eventually decided against speaking.

"We have food, water, first aid," Kamille listed calmly as the stranger rifled through her bag. "Even got a TV working for movie night. You can come with us. This...," she nodded before her, "this isn't necessary."

He paused, glancing at her. "You're lying."

She raised an eyebrow. "Why would I lie?"

His glare disappeared. "Nothing is safe anymore. People lie."

"I promise you I'm not," Kamille said gently, sensing a rough history with the boy before her. Taking the risk, she began to lower her hands. "I don't know what you've been through, but it doesn't have to be like that anymore. My group and I... we just want to help."

The boy lowered his gun hesitantly, just as Kamille spotted Al appearing behind him, taking in the situation. Kamille subtly shook her head when she raised her rifle, but the boy noticed and stood up quickly, turning around with wide eyes. He raised his pistol and Al had him in her sights.

"No, stop!" Kamille shouted, stepping between them. She looked to Al, adding, "Lower it, Al, he's okay. He's okay."

Al glanced at Kamille before nodding and lowering her rifle. Kamille looked to the boy, offering a small smile.

"It's okay," she promised him. "We won't hurt you. You can trust us."

His hand was shaking, poor thing, but he seemed to believe Kamille and eventually lowered his weapon.

"My name's Kyan," he said quietly, answering her question from before.

Kamille felt relieved as she straightened up. "It's nice to meet you, Kyan. As I said, I'm Kamille. This is Al."

Al waved awkwardly, shouldering her rifle. "Nice to meet you, kid. Thanks for not, er, shooting my friend an' all."

Kyan nodded before putting his gun away. He glanced behind him, at the mess that was Kamille's bag.

"Sorry," he apologised. "I'd like to come with you if you'll let me."

Kamille smiled wide, looking at Al who seemed impressed.

"Of course," Kamille answered him, before going to pick her stuff up. "You can even have a mint."

"Ooh, you found mints?!" Al called, running to join her.