You're not a Failure

8th November 2020

Delhi Capitals had just won the match against the Sunrisers leaving the entire team in hearty smiles.

It was their first final after all, and they were looking to make it a win too.

Rishabh happened to walk off the pitch wearing a façade of genuine happiness.

Truth was, no matter how happy he was for qualifying, he was disappointed in himself.

2, 3, 8, 24

Read his last 4 scores.

The word disappointment was too little to describe how awful he was feeling.

Couldn't you have played a bit better his overthinking mind voice chided.

He slunk away from the post-match celebrations and snuck into his room wishing dreadfully that nobody had spotted him.

Head buried into his pillows, Rishabh felt a strange urge as he always did to scroll through social media.

Possibly the worst thing he could've done

The trolls were no less disturbing. Some were pointing out his low scores , some on how cheaply he got out and some on other random mistakes of his.

Oh I know! - he urged to roar at the screen.

Completely drowned in his thoughts, Rishabh failed to realise that his Indian teammates on the other side were going insane trying to figure out where the kid locked himself up on such a happy night.

Mainly the search party was caused by Prithvi and Shreyas. Shreyas always was close to Rish and treated him almost like a younger brother though he's only younger by a few years.

Rishabh going missing wasn't normal. It was usually the opposite, he almost hated being alone.

Shreyas was naturally worried about the ever lively, bursting with happiness, crazy kid. He was always the first to forget a loss and be all pumped up again.

"Jinks Bhai where do you think he'd be?" Shreyas asked tugging on to Jinks' arm impatiently.

"Perhaps checking his room would be a good idea Shrey," Jinks answered patiently.

The whole situation reminded him of Virat and Rohit. Shikhar and Ash seemed to agree too.

"Oh oops," Shrey blurted out in embarrassment rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

How had he forgotten to check Rishabh's room

Saying so, he ran off to talk to Rishabh.

As always, he opened the door in his usual "I'm here, notice me" manner expecting to find Rishabh crouched over his laptop laughing at something ridiculous.

Much to his surprise, Rishabh was slouched against the side of the bed, head buried in his hands looking as if he was on the verge of a breakdown.

The protective brother arose in Shreyas almost immediately as he rushed to take Rishabh in a big bear hug.

"Yo Rish what happened bro?"

No response

"Rishu?" Shrey called in a tender tone,  almost mirroring Virat or Mahi Bhai.

Rish suddenly hugged him back, hid his face in Shrey's shoulder and started sobbing silently.