Chapter 38

"Mom! We're here. We caught a bunch of...who are you?"

Sook was walking ahead of us. He directly went to the kitchen while we are about to walk upstairs to our room but we stopped when he sounded scared after calling out his mom.

"What's wrong Sook?" Chae checked on him first while I stayed on the stairs.

"No noona! You stay-" Sook was cutted off.

I got curious on what's happening so I also went down to check, only to find out Chae with her hands up, in surrender. Following her is a man I am familiar with, pointing a gun to her. 

"Looks like the hide and seek are over. Long no time see, my supposed to be daughter in law." Mr. Chou Yicheng smirked at me.

When I looked behind him, I saw Mrs. Miranda tied up with a tape on her mouth and Sook unconscious on the floor.

"Mr. Chou, stop this already." I managed to plead even though my saliva almost choked me. 

Chae then pulled me behind her when I was on her reach.

"I am not after on what you have right now. You can have it all. I have no interest on that company or that wealth. So please stop this already sir. Tzuyu is my friend, don't make her sad by doing this."

Chae's grip on me was tight. She's afraid, but she's still protecting me like this.

"Don't mention that brat's name to me. She's a disgrace already when she married that woman. She's filthy. And then she had the guts to sell me out? I did all of this for her! For her future! I dirtied my hands to secure her comfortable life, for her not suffer like I did. And that's how she'd repay me? To send me in prison?"

He yelled at us.

"You did it for yourself, Tzuyu did not ask any of those! How can you call your daughter filthy? She's just simply loving someone. And that does not make her filthy, you're way filthier than her!" I also yelled back. 

I could not let him talk like that about Tzuyu. 

"SHUT UP! SHUT UUPPPP!!!" Mr. Chou fired on the floor.

I shouted in fear and Chae quickly hugged me.

"Yes! I did it for myself! So what huh?" Mr. Chou walked closer and pointed the gun to Chaeyoung's temple. "I worked hard for it! I gave my life for it! And then what? You'll just snatched it to me like that? Just by being born with father's blood and you'll have everything that I worked hard for?" He pulled Chae's collar and made her stood up.

I followed but Mr. Chou warned me. "Move one inch and I'll blow up her head."

My eyes are pooling with tears and my hands are trembling so much in fear as I see how the muzzle of the gun is pointed in Chae's head. I wanted to call for help but I don't have my phone with me. We threw our mobiles before coming to this island.

How did Mr. Chou tracked us?

"Don't touch her." Chae said. "You only want me gone right? So be it. Just don't touch Mina."

"No Chae! No.." I stood up and held her arms. 

She did not look at me. She just removed my hands. 

"Kill me. But don't lay a hand on Mina. She has a son, and he needs her. You're also a parent and a son to your mother. You know how that kid would feel if you kill his mother." 

I can't stop crying. Why is Chae doing this? Why does she always do the sacrifices? 

"Chae please.." I pleaded one more time.

"Fair enough!" Mr. Chou said. "Your love for each grosses me out but I understand your point. I could not bare it in my conscience that some kid out there would be an orphan because of me."

"You still have conscience?" I asked sarcastically in anger.

"Mina!" Chae scolded me. I know that she's trying to take Mr. Chou's attention away from me but I could not contain my anger. This old man is mental!

Mr. Chou laughed evilly. He's not sane, that I'm sure of. I can see how rugged his clothes are, he probably didn't took a bath from that day he escaped. He's already bearded and his eyes are blood-shot.

His appearance right now is the total opposite of the legendary business tycoon that everyone from the business world knew of. He's a total wreck!

"It seemed to me that you wanted death badly. But too bad Ms. Myoui, I am a man of my word. Since my little sister here, agreed to get killed by me. I will let you go unscathed. I am a great businessman indeed." Then he laughed crazily.

"Now my little sister, ready for your trip to hell?" Mr. Chou pointed the gun back to Chae. 

"Chae!" I called, teary-eyed.

"Drop your gun Mr. Chou Yicheng! This is the police, I repeat this is the police. You are already surrounded! Drop your gun. We already have a clear sight on you!"

A voice in a megaphone suddenly echoed around us. It's coming from the outside.

"Shit! Shit! How did they know?" Mr. Chou panicked and tried to reach Chae but a shot was fired and he halted his movement. 

I saw red lasers on every part of his body. He is really surrounded.

My prayer worked! We are now safe. Chaeyoung breathed in relief and turned around to hug me.

"Ssshh, it's okay. It's already over." She whispered as she tapped me on the back.

But I could feel the shivering of her body. She was scared. But no matter how scared she was, she still protected me. I felt useless. I was supposed to protect her. Yeri told me to protect her, but I always end up being protected by her instead.

"Fuck!" I heard Mr. Chou cussed and saw how he glared at Chae. He moved his hand and pointed the gun back to Chae.

Without thinkinh, my body moved and exchanged our positions.

Then a loud bang of gunshot echoed inside. It was then followed by the sound of the fallen body of Mr. Chou.

He was shot.

"Mina!" I heard Chae calling me. I did not realize that I was already on the floor, lying. I suddenl;y felt the stinging pain in my back.

Did I got shot? 

I smiled. That's a relief then, if I got shot then that means Chae isn't. I protected her at last. I protected my dear Chaeyoung.

"Mina! Don't close your eyes! Mina please! Minaaaaaa."

I cannot see her anymore but I can still hear her voice. Chaeyoung is safe. 

Thank God.

"I-i l-love y-you C-chae...y..n..g."