Dead Intimacy

Hunter:

Lily takes a seat beside me, and I wrap my arm around her. Lily's scent sits somewhere in the depths of my memory from when we first met, but none the less it's still very foreign. To my relief, Mother and Father are enjoying some wine in the living room. Why they enjoy it so much, I'll never understand. It's not like it affects us, and it doesn't taste all that great either.

"So, how was your travel over here?" I ask.

"Mm, it was wonderful," Lilly cheers, rolling her head back on my shoulder. I lean in and peck her on the forehead. "There's such a difference between my home territory and yours. I enjoyed passing by the mountains and the pretty waterfall and the ponds. My home is in a clearing by a small stream, plenty of open room to run," she says dreamily. She talks of home, hunting, and the freedom of their territory away from the human villages. It's been a few years since we've had a chance to catch up like this since the first time we met. Back then, our packs were rivals for territory. To bring about peace, the pack wolves would need to have alphas that both sides could agree on. As a result, the hand of their heir was offered to be mated with my father's heir, that being me. We were arranged to unite the Brook and the Lakefall packs between future alphas, the two of us. The fate of the packs' is all on us, making this work no matter what.

"I've missed you since the last time I saw you," I murmur, leaning forward to peck her lips. She takes my bottom lip in hers, and I pull her in closer. My nerves have me on edge. Surely she can feel how nervous I am. Is she worried, too? The pressure is on both of us. It's one thing having these feelings and wanting her, but it's another thing bonding our inner wolves. Inside each werewolf is the split between human and beast. There's a precise balance in keeping both sides in check. Our human-side tends to be dominant, but there are certain aspects where our wolf-side is stronger. The closer Lilly and I are will surely help build this bond. This, I'm sure.

"Did you miss me?" I ask her, lightly placing a gentle hand on her knee and slowly sliding up towards her. I hold my breath, waiting to see how she'll respond.

"I have missed you," Lilly whispers in my ear. Her small, delicate hand lightly traces my cheek to my jawline. It sort of tickles. Lilly's soft brown eyes gaze into mine. Lilly takes a slow, shaky deep breath and bites her bottom lip. Her small hands are shaking, and her shoulders are stiff. "We haven't seen each other- touched each other in so long," Lilly mutters, her eyes drifting away. I can sense her unease, and I wonder if she can sense mine?

"We'll find that connection. This will work," I promise Lilly, leaning my forehead against hers, and she closes her eyes. We hold the other for a few seconds, maybe minutes, listening to one another breathing.

"You are my alpha," Lilly whispers.

"And you are mine," I murmur back.

"Don't let me go," Lilly asks.

"I won't let you go," I tell her. Gah, my heart is racing! This building anxiety is going to be the death of me. I can hardly stand it. Lilly leans in for another deep kiss, pressing closer into me. Her hair smells like sweet soaps. I hold her at her waist and break off the kiss first. She pulls back, breathless as I am. Lilly searches my face, a slight frown forming. I'm starting to get a headache from the stress of my inner wolf. This anxiety is going to make me sick to my stomach. I want us to work, but inside unease lurks. My wolf burns like a fire, but now it feels cold like it's removed and tired.

"Are you okay, my Hunter? What's wrong, you look upset," Lilly inquires, sensing something is wrong. This isn't fair to her.

"I'm fine, maybe just a little stressed, you know," I explain. I'm just not feeling the same way

"I know your father puts a lot of work and responsibilities on your shoulders," Lilly sighs, rubbing my shoulders, her soft eyes starting to worry, "Maybe a good hunting trip will ease the strain?" she worries.

"Let me just go up to my room and grab something," Lily calls over her shoulder.

"Want me to go up there with you?" I tease. She pauses in the doorway, a hand on her hip.

"Oh, stop it. Same old Hunter right back," she calls from the archway. My head falls back on the sofa cushion. I grab a handful of my hair and take a long, deep breath. My heart is pounding, but not from her. Something inside doesn't feel right, my wolf senses it but I can't seem to figure it out. It's like my wolf is gnawing at me from inside my ribcage. My wolf longs for someone, and all I know is it's not Lilly.