Taken

Jade:

I head upstairs, hoping to see Hunter in the hallway when I hear Vincent call me downstairs.

"We're leaving. I need you to grab my briefcase from my office," Vincent tells me, "And Chery, find something respectable for them," he adds. I'm not sure what was going on, but I have no choice to obey. I do as I'm ordered, get a change of clothes, and leave with him for a carriage sitting outside. I climb into the back where Abbey also sits and notices who's upfront. Vincent, Hunter, Eric, and Chase. They're all dressed as normal, respectable and modest. I feel out of place. Never have I ever worn a dress of smooth, clean cotton that flows like a river over my curves to the floor. I stare at the floor or the window, anywhere but them.

"How behind schedule are we?" Vincent asks as he gave a short flick of his wrists on the whip. The horses begin to pull the carriage.

"Don't worry, the meeting doesn't start for another ten minutes," Eric replies. We leave on a trail towards the town.

"What's going on?" I whisper to Abbey.

"I'm not exactly sure, some pack meeting with the elders. This is for the Schaedler's, Brooks, and Lakefall's. Chase tells me," she whispers. I nod my head understandingly. We move through the town and stop at an old church. Inside I hear many voices. We enter, and Abbey and I follow Vincent up to a table that faces the people. Abbey leans close to me as we walk up,

"I heard this was an emergency meeting due to the attack of the barbarians, "Abbey whispers. The alpha of the Schaedler, Luke, and Jane; alphas of Brook, Charles and Mary; and the alpha's of Lakefall, Vincent, and Eladia sit table. Along with them sits Hunter, Chase, Eric, Lilly, and Suzah. It then strikes me just how important those three are. They are betas of their family's pack. Chase of the Schaedler's, Lilly of the Brook's, and then Hunter of the Lakefall's. I'd never realized just how important they were considering the packs. Among the audience, I'm surprised to spot familiar faces. There are humans; shop owners, innkeepers, and businesspeople gather

"Let this meeting begin," announces Luke Schaedler. Vincent stands up,

"This meeting was called so early due to an unpleasant event. Our family, including Miss Lilly Brook, we were attacked on our territory by a group of barbarians. This event has called my attention to the rising fact that there is a association that does wish to bring us down," Vincent says, "This is concerning matter because this is not their first offence. They have attacked our pack and our people. Tax collectors have been ambushed on the roads. Shops have been looted in the night. They've caused much harm to the village," Vincent goes on, and Luke chuckles.

"What's so funny about this? Our beta was attacked! This is a serious matter," Mary snaps.

"I just wonder, is a human association really a threat to us? I mean, think about it," Luke scoffs.

"Yes, it is because the force that did rescue the victims were injured," Eladia spoke up, her eyes drifted towards Hunter and Eric. I couldn't help but wonder if Hunter was okay since then. He's been injured, yet he didn't seem to be affected much. I notice my eyes drifted to look his way, but I continue to stare at the ceiling. Still, my thoughts drift to him as the others spoke.

"Just what do we know about the barbarians?" asks one of the elders that had come to the meeting; Henry Lakefall.

"Not much, but I find it impressive they managed to sneak up behind us without me noticing," Lilly says. I frown when she says this, but someone has noticed; Morgan. I bit my tongue if I say something for sure.