It's Out of My Hands

Hunter:

The next morning begins early. The council has debated over what to do, an immediate fix for the current situation. Will I be deemed alpha, or will Richard have his way and become the new alpha? I check myself in the mirror. My dark brown hair is neat, and my suite fits the importance of the meeting. I laugh at myself for fussing over my look. I lean forward so that my head rests against the mirror. This mess. This fighting, constant battling, and squabbling must end before we lose more than our alphas. I tear myself from the mirror. I'd better run, or I'll be late. I step out, and she runs smack into me, running by herself.

"Ooff!" she gasps, stumbling, but I catch her.

"You okay?" I wonder. She blinks at me, her face going rosy.

"Yes, I'm fine," Jade tells me, a smile creeping on her face. Her face glows. The way her delicate lips smile, her eyes look up to me, and she comes closer to me. The moment is interrupted simply by my mother walking into the hall. Eladia's dressed as I am, professional and serious for the meeting. Though her make-up is thick I can still see the tired in her. But who could blame her? Despite having Jade so close, she doesn't make a snide remark or comment. But she nods and then leaves. That might be the first little acknowledgment my mother has given me since this has all gone to hell. Either she's changed her mind, or she's given up.

"Are you okay?" Jade asks. I nod my head and promise her a reassuring smile. Everything is going to be fine. The council will see me fit, and I will take my father's place. I look at Jade. I can do this.

"Ah, there you are," Richard greets us. Eladia gives him a side-eye but doesn't speak a word.

"And Hunter, how are you his morning?" Richard greets me next. He's too excited. My Uncle is like my father. They keep their feelings inside; happiness, sadness, and grief all get buried inside. What is this now?

"Good, and you?" I respond out of courtesy.

"Fine, it is a great day," he responds. He embraces me and pats me on the back. Richard's voice, his giant hand patting me on the back, it all feels like my father is here again. A pang hits me in the chest, "May the better man win," Richard whispers in my ear. I gawk at him, staring with my jaw hanging open. "Have a seat, the meeting is to begin soon," Richard calls over his shoulder.

"Miss Schaedler, good to see you," I greet her.

"Good to see you to Hunter, how have you been fairing?" Ester asks, her old eyes looking into me, expecting to see grief in me.

"I've been well. Been better," I tell Ester, and she gives me a sympathetic look, "and Eric?" I inquire.

"A fine alpha of the pack," Ester assures me with an old, heart-warming smile, "Let's begin here," she declares. Richard and I approach the elders.

"Hunter, there are some concerns about you taking on the role of alpha," Henry begins. I gulp you can do this. "You have claimed that your wolf has rejected Lilly,"

"True," I confirm this.

"Then who has your wolf claimed?" he inquires. I look between each of the elders. They all watch, expecting an answer like this is something they've all been dwelling upon. They already know about Jade. Someone's running around spreading rumors. No wonder they seemed so interested in her at yesterday's meeting.

"Jade Atwood," I declare.

"I wonder just what you care about more. The human you claim to be your mate or your own pack?" Ellen, Brook's elder, questions, "Your betrothal to my granddaughter would have ensured Brook's support. And you threw it away," she seethes through her teeth.