"I thought you were asleep," she laughed.

"I was until I reached for you and you were gone. I was afraid..."

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Thank you, April. For everything. I'm so lucky to have you by my side."

Jae joined her in front of the window and as the sun rose, they held each other, so resolute in their happiness that they almost forgot everything else.

"I'm going to go take a shower then I'll go buy you something to wear, ok?"

"Ok."

The moment April heard the shower turn on she rushed to her phone and called Kenny. She knew he was worried about her but trying to give her space by not constantly checking to see if she was alright. She opened WhatsApp and saw that he was online, most likely staring at his screen waiting for her call.

"April," he shouted excitedly as soon as the call connected.

"Hey, Kenny. How are you?"

"I'm fine. How are you? Was the flight ok? Where are you staying? How's Jae's mom?"

"Wow, um. I'm ok. The flight was terrifying. We are staying at Jae's mom's apartment and she's not doing well, Kenny."

"Oh, my God. I'm so sorry. How's Jae?"

April didn't know how to answer that question. The last thing she wanted was to worry Kenny and any knowledge he would have of the night's events would do that. However, she also didn't want to lie. Kenny was her best friend and lying to him felt wrong but not more wrong than letting him worry about her from a world away, knowing he was powerless to help her.

"He's having a hard time but he's getting through it."

"I guess that's all he can do."

"Yeah."

"April."

"Yeah?"

"I miss you."

"I miss you too, Kenny."

April forced back the tears that threatened to fall and tried to compose herself so that no sign of sadness was evident to Kenny or Jae. The only thing that got in the way of her imagining a happy life in Korea was living without Kenny. She didn't know if she could do it. She found it so strange that the thing that was giving her pause wasn't her home but her ex-boyfriend. She was quickly realising, however that home was more than just a place, it was who you shared it with.

"I better go," April said when she heard the shower turn off.

"Ok," Kenny replied. "Don't forget about me."

"I couldn't ever forget you."

Just as she hung up, Jae stepped out of the bathroom, a towel around his waist, glistening and wet. The sight of him took her breath away. He went into the bedroom and through the open door she watched as he dug through his bags and when he found what he was looking for, pulled off the towel and dressed, bathed in the light of the morning sun.

"I won't be long," he said, as he approached her.

They kissed and again he was gone and she was alone. She thought about calling Kenny back but decided against it. She couldn't be splitting her time between the two of them. Anyway, Kenny needed her to be gone in order to get over her and to move on, something she never imagined she'd have to worry about. It was amazing to her that all the time she thought that she was easy to forget and discard, in reality she had never been forgotten.

"Does it fit?" Jae called from outside the bedroom door.

She wasn't sure how he had done it but he had gotten her size exactly. The pants, blouse, even the bras and underwear fit her perfectly. She stepped out of the room and he smiled, proud of his fashion sense.

"How did you get it so right?"

He smiled.

"I know your body."

April blushed and took the socks and slippers out of his hand. He had gotten her enough clothes to last a few days as well as some toiletries and hair pulls. He had thought of everything. Even she would have forgotten deodorant or a toothbrush but he hadn't. He had taken care to remember every detail, to anticipate her every need. Something so small as remembering her preference in toothpaste flavor reminded her that he cared and that though at times it may seem like he wanted to push her away, he needed her close.

"It's still early," Jae said, looking at his watch, "do you want to take a walk?"

"Sure," April replied, excited to finally get out and explore her new surroundings.

As she put on her sneakers, which also fit just right, Jae's phone rang, piercing their happy day with a dagger of dread. Since she had known him, there had never been good news on the other side of any of his phone calls. She tried to stay hopeful but she knew that this could be the worst call of them all. She stood beside him, a hand on his shoulder as he answered.

"Yeoboseyo?"

The male voice speaking to him was stern and serious and Jae listened intently as he spoke.

"Ne."

"What did he say?" April asked, when Jae hung up.

"We have to go," he said, looking off into the distance, as if he was somehow trying to see what was in store for him in the near future. Or, as if he was trying to understand what was happening, confusion clouding his eyes. Already he seemed lost, searching for an answer that wasn't his to understand.

Without another word they rushed out the door together, hand in hand. Whatever they were headed for, whatever Jae was about to face, they would face it together. Never again would he have to hide or internalize his pain. In the taxi, she held him while his world crumbled and as he silently cried, she cried with him.