Abeoji

"Do you have to work?"

April lay next to Jae, his arms tight around her waist. He kissed her shoulder and sleepily responded, "Mmmm."

"What does that mean?" April laughed.

"It means yes, but I don't care."

"But Jae," she said, turning to face him, "you should give them notice so that when you come back..."

The look on his face stopped her dead.

"You're not coming back."

"I don't know yet. Things are moving so fast and now there's you.  I thought I had made the decision but now I'm not sure."

"This decision has nothing to do with me, Jae. This is about you and your mother. You can't come back for me if she still needs you there."

He caressed her cheek, looking at her as though he was trying to memorize her face.

"I don't know when I'll see you again," he whispered.

"Someday," April replied, "I know it. We are meant for forever. This isn't the end, it can't be."

April was hoping her words would convince Jae that he wasn't about to lose her forever. That when he was alone he could call on memories of her to warm his heart. That though the road he was about to travel was destined to lead to heartbreak she would always be there waiting to comfort him.

"Just don't forget me," April said, trying to smile.

"That would be like forgetting my own heart," he replied before kissing her deeply. Everything about him; his kiss, his touch, his voice had an air of finality as if he was doing it all and saying it all for the last time. It seemed as though he expected a call at any moment informing him of some terrible turn of events that would force him to have to leave immediately. So April matched his intensity. She threw her inhibitions out the window. If these were going to be their last moments together for the foreseeable future she wanted him to remember them. As they kissed April pushed the blanket to the floor revealing her naked body to him for the first time. Every pooch and pudge on full display. She straddled his hips, sitting tall as he took in every curve. He reached out and slowly, with intent focus, ran his fingertips over her warm caramel skin. She shivered and watched his eyes light up at the sight and feel of her.

"April, I lo...."

"Hey, are you in here?" A voice called from outside her door.

Before April had a chance to reply, Kenny burst into her room.

"Oh my God, Kenny!" April shouted trying to quickly pick the blanket up off the floor and cover herself.

"I'm sorry," Kenny mumbled before finally leaving the room.

April grabbed her robe and after a look back at a humiliated Jae, went out into the living room.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"I..I"m sorry," he stammered trying to avert his eyes from her. "I was worried. You weren't answering your phone or the door."

"I'm not naked anymore, Kenny. You can look at me. And I'm fine. Jae and I made up last night."

"I see that," Kenny said, unsuccessfully trying to hide a grin.  

April scowled at Kenny but she could hardly be angry. His heart was in the right place. Unfortunately, his body was in the very wrong place.  While he was there she wondered if she should tell him about Jae leaving.  She would eventually but this wasn't the time.  She had hardly made peace with it herself.