「 winter wonderland 」

chapter twelve

winter wonderland

To burn with desire and keep quiet about it is the greatest punishment we can bring on ourselves

   A WHOLE WEEK before the ball was supposed to be, she had received a custom gown like no other she had had before. There were two problems: she had no one to go with and the dress didn't fit. It didn't take more than a minute after trying the dress on to realise they'd done that on purpose. It was smaller than her measurement when she left for Hogwarts. Meaning that she had a week to lose a few inches off her waist. She had done it once, it was nothing new but she also knew that once she started then she might not be able to stop. Like last time.

   With that, the girl spent any time she could in that old classroom, training. If not, she was out running or sleeping. The more active she got, the less of a punishment it became. Every day she would slip on the dress, the zip getting further up each day. It was not healthy to lose weight this way because of the pace that it happened, it was a temporary fix.

   By Thursday night, the dress fit perfectly and she hadn't been prouder in a long time. That was one problem out of the way, at least. Now to find a date. Only El, Marlene and Delilah didn't have a date because Remus still hadn't plucked up the courage to ask. That was on her to-do list of the day. But first of all, she had her priorities like laying on the common room sofa thinking of who to go with. The redhead had stumbled in with Marlene, both laughing at something that one of them had said. Both of them recognised the moping figure and joined her.

   "Where the hell have you been?" Lily asked, standing over her menacingly. "I haven't seen you outside of lessons and here you are, looking like your waist has been strangled." She added, taking in her large bruises on her hips but there were bruises everywhere. Eleanor was going to go for another run to finish off but she couldn't be bothered. Everything ached. That's why her midriff was on show, she was in leggings and a sports bra. At that comment, she pulled up the waistband and winced slightly at the contact to the skin. "Answer me." Lily declared in her motherly tone, causing the Westbrook to groan.

   "I have been practising. I go home on Saturday, remember." Eleanor mumbled, remembering to visit the hospital wing. The moon was yesterday and she had made Delilah deliver the flowers herself.

   "Oh El, you can't keep doing this to yourself." The redhead replied, with a sigh and her words only confused Marlene. Eleanor just glared at Lily, not wanting the lecture right now. "You shouldn't care what they think, your perfect."