「 a letter 」

chapter twenty seven

a letter

You learned to run from what you feel, and that's why you have nightmares

You learned to run from what you feel, and that's why you have nightmares. To deny is to invite madness. To accept is to control.

SURE, IN EVERY sense, he had been ignoring her but that didn't mean that was trying to push her away. Not fully. Her words from weeks ago had stuck with him. So, on the seventh, he checked the paper and there were two new missing children. But now it was the twenty first and when he flipped to the back pages only to see five more had disappeared. All muggleborn. Three are still unknown and two from Italy, both of them had been interns at the ministry in that country. They were getting closer. Much closer. Surely they were fine, right? After all, Hogwarts was supposedly one of the safest places in the UK. Nothing is impossible. If one is determined enough, anything was possible. And to top that off, none of them were even slightly prepared. Maybe, he could break the silence between the two with this. Not like he wanted to, this was purely for these people. Yes, he definitely hadn't been mentally cursing himself for creating this mess.

Unfortunately, he hadn't got round to that and it was currently Wednesday night when he had returned to his dorm in attempts to find the blonde. There was no need though. Laid in the bed opposite his was Eleanor and she was curled up with her head on Remus' chest. He froze at the sight of the two sleeping figures until he noticed her tear-stained face and his face morphed into a deep frown. What the hell had happened?

There was a letter on the bed, crumpled and tear-stained. He stood very still for a strong five minutes, trying to figure out what to do. On one hand, he didn't want to invade anyone's privacy but, on the other, he wanted to know what had upset her. Pulling out his wand, he muttered 'Accio letter' and the crumpled paper came flying to his hand. Lots of the words had been smudged but it was still readable.

Dear Ellie,

I'm struggling for the word's to tell you this but everything happened so quickly. I know we usually communicate through notes but the complexity and sensitivity of this subject deserved a whole letter. It is the least I can do. But please bear in mind that I don't know much myself at this time and Celine has been silent - hardly leaving her bed in fact. It doesn't help that the moon is just over a week away and she's refusing to take any salutem exhausit. We need you more than ever. Maybe you could write to her, she always listened to you. Everything has drastically worsened since you left and now this is happening, none of us knows what to do...