「 sentimental 」

chapter thirty-four

 sentimental 

Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness

Letting go gives us freedom, and freedom is the only condition for happiness. If, in our heart, we still cling to anything - anger, anxiety, or possessions - we cannot be free

   AFTER FIXING UP their dorm, nobody said a word. In fact, none of them dared to speak. Some of her things were beyond repair. She'd been sat staring at the same picture for a good ten minutes, there was a chunk that had been torn out. It was completely gone. If they had ransacked her clothes or taken her jewellery, it was doubtful that she'd even care. But all these memories was all she had, especially those with her mother. That urge to punch something or break something was gnawing at her mind as she stared at the faceless picture.  

    Who knew about her locket and her attachment to the piece? Not many: Ada, Lily, Sirius, and her father did. That was it. Whether her sister had done this herself or had gotten someone else to do this didn't matter because it was the only possible explanation. The thought of her purposefully taking the locket was enough to turn her knuckles white as she clenched her fist tightly. 

   "El," Lily spoke softly, sitting on the edge of the blonde's bed. "There's not much you can do right now. Sleep and we'll sort it in the morning." She advised, giving her a soft smile in hopes of providing some comfort. Eleanor didn't feel like arguing over the situation and simply nodded as she slid the photo on to her bedside table. 

   Instead of sleeping, she spent the evening staring at the roof or the wall and then at the stars when she sat in the window's alcove. It took her mind off things, calming her momentarily. All she would do is wake up angry if she slept. Now, she had time to think things over. Well, her thoughts seemed to be plotting instead of planning. 

   "Did you see James' Patronus? It was a stag!" Lily whispered harshly as they left the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. Performing the spell had been delayed as exam topics had been taught instead as their teacher had skipped over them a year ago. Finally, they had gotten to show off and quite a lot of students were able to produce the charm thanks to the wait. Ellie had produced an incorporeal Patronus, she already knew hers and didn't need anyone knowing hers: Remus had done the same.

   "And?" Eleanor said, overcome with tiredness that she couldn't make a connection. There were so many spells taking place in that one room that it was hard to keep track of everyone's.