「 face the facts 」

chapter twenty six

 face the facts 

It's so easy to lie

It's so easy to lie. What's even worse is how we cling to those lies. We beg for the illusion so we don't have to face the truth, don't have to feel alone.

    APPARENTLY, LILY HADN'T returned from her date last night and Eleanor wasn't sure if she should be proud or concerned because the redhead wasn't one to be risque. In fact, only Mary had been in the dorm when she had come to bed and neither of the other two had decided to show. She only awoke when the door squeaked and someone was trying to sneak in. The blonde sat up slowly and rubbed her overly tired eyes. Staring straight at her was Lily, looking like a deer caught in some headlights. Her outfit was crumpled, heels in hand, and her hair was like a lion's mane. Eleanor couldn't help but let out a laugh at her timid reaction. The girl was trying her hardest to hide her blush but it was no use. She only stopped laughing when Mary threw a pillow her way to shut her up. Lily had tried to slip away but her best friend was not having any of it, clearly, she planned on not getting caught. 

   "So, Miss Perfect. What did you get up to last night?" El inquired, hopping onto the bathroom counter as the girl washed off her makeup from the night before. The blonde couldn't help the wide childish grin that pulled at her lips.

   "I-" She paused, looking at Eleanor and a small smirk appeared on her lips. "Is it that obvious?" The girl asked, examining her appearance. She believed that she looked more than presentable but her friend did have an eye for detail.

   "You're joking, right? Merlin, where do I begin. The smudge mascara, wrinkled dress, guilty expression, sneaking around, crazy hair, exhausted face." Eleanor started, looking her over. "Not to manage that protruding bruise on the nape of your neck." She added, giggling as Lily let out a loud gasp. Her hand shot to her neck as she examined the hickey in the mirror.  "Was he good?" Ellie then asked, earning a slap on the back of her head. "What! I was just wondering." The girl says innocently with her hands up in defence. 

   "Yes, he was." Lily muttered softly with a shy smile and a vibrant blush on her face. That was enough for Eleanor to squeal, she'd been uptight for the past few weeks so this may have relieved a bit of stress. "You can't tell anyone about this! You weren't even supposed to know. We're keeping our relationship on the down-low." The redhead explained to her and she nodded in return, doing the motion of sealed lips. 

   "I can't believe you weren't going to tell me, especially walking around like that. Everyone was bound to know if you waited any longer." She told the redhead who just shook her head with a smile on her face. Eleanor had to admit that there was something wrong with their relationship but she couldn't pinpoint it...