「 we walk amongst monsters 」

chapter forty

we walk amongst monsters

THE NEXT FEW days were hard. She spent her time in the room of requirement avoiding everyone, well the boys. That wasn't a surprise, it was what she did best. But she needed to figure out what she was going to even say. Sorry, Remus, I know you are absolutely terrified and all but I was actually talking to my dead mother in my dreams that might not be dreams anymore. No, that would definitely get her sectioned. It would probably help her out a lot though. Once people believe you're insane, they will never trust you again. As much as people want to be supportive, they'll use your own mind against you; call you crazy, second guess your choices, always blame you. It wasn't that simple - or was it?

   Maybe if people believed that she was insane then they'd leave her alone. That was selfish. She couldn't do that.

   Honestly, she was glad that the boys hadn't said anything about the incident. Lily had already been enough of a hassle as it was. She completely freaked out at Peter for defending Remus, yesterday. That was the most contact she'd had with those boys since the moon. But she was getting worse. Things were getting personal. She had so rudely pointed out how he was obsessed with Quidditch but never made the team, like a little groupie. This was not Lily at all. None of them knew what was wrong. The redhead said that nothing had changed, people were just pissing her off. Again, that wasn't true. This was Lily Evans. The same girl who almost got hypothermia so that Delilah didn't ruin her hair. It wasn't right. And she proved that.

"His audacity. Honestly, does he believe that I would ever be friends with him again? He hangs out with deatheaters! I mean, he's always talked to them but that's beside the point. Merlin, how did I never realise that he was so insufferable!" Lily was borderline shouting as the two headed up the stairs to the common room. She seemed to be venting a lot recently. And though it was nice that she was getting all of this out, she sure had a vulgar way of putting things at the minute.

During potions, Severus had dared to open his mouth and that tipped Lily over the edge. To be fair, she had been defending Eleanor this time but this wasn't the first time this had occurred in potions, this week. He'd made a snide comment about how the blonde looked borderline deranged, he wasn't exactly wrong. She looked a total wreck. In her defence, she'd been spending most of her time trying to find a way back to her mother. There was nothing so far. Anyways, Elle had been ready to defend herself when Lily hopped in. Cutthroat and deadly. It was hilarious to watch the colour drip from his face as she plunged and twisted a knife in him with her words.

"If you were aware that he was friends with such people then why did you stick around for so long?" Eleanor returned as they ventured into the common room, it was actually peaceful for once. People were now packing into the Great Hall before dinner to get their revision done for the exams that were commencing next week.

"Because he had nobody but me. They weren't too bad when he first started talking to that group. Arrogant and entitled, sure. But so were Potter and Black. I guess that I didn't see him change. I refused to. Either, I don't know. He called me a Mudblood and it was like I was snapped back into reality!" Lily explained rapidly, scratching at the skin of her neck.

"So, you only realised how awful he was when he switched upon you and not everyone else?" Elle said mindlessly, slinging her bag onto the sofa as she was ready to sit down.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lily snapped, feeling that anger slosh violently inside her. The blonde paused for a minute, forgetting the eggshells she had to tread on now.