13. The Inn at Glacier Peak

Start from the beginning

"I am sorry to be so careless but you are our only guests." Her eyes are wide with fear as she continues. "No one ever comes this far into the mountains, into the North, this time of year." He nods down to her, looking relieved.

"So that means we will be the only ones here, no one else will be arriving?"

"Not that I know of." She shakes her head. "We usually close down for a few months due to the constant inclement weather."

"Then plan on doing the same." Timber places a pouch full of coins on the table in front of her. "This should cover us for the next few months."

She stares down at the royal bag in disbelief. She picks it up saying, "yes sir. I mean, yes, Prince Timber. Yes, it will be more than enough, indeed. If you need anything else to make your stay with us more comfortable then let me know."

"What is your name?" I chime in, finally sounding normal now that I am in a heated space.

She gives me a warm smile. "Oh, Princess Peregrine, you are even lovelier than the stories I have heard about you." I cannot help but give her a wide grin and nod, encouraging her to tell me her namesake. "I am Ophelia and my son's name is Garret, after his late father."

"It is lovely to meet you. Thank you for taking us in." Not many a creature would take the risk but she luckily has and I am ever grateful for it.

"Of course, princess. Sir Rocco is a distant relation and we owe him a lot. Let me show the two of you your room." She gestures for us to follow her through the warm wooden building. "Your room is right up here." She begins taking a narrow staircase off in the corner of the room. "It is the largest room and is away from the other guest lodging. Just in case anyone else does show up in need of a room I thought it would be good the two of you were not in the same corridor."

"That was wise." Timber mutters out from behind me.

Once we get to the top of the steps she opens the door to a decent size room. There is a small bed next to the raging fireplace, one that will just fit both Timber and I on it. There is a small wooden table with a set of matching chairs. On top of the table are two stacks of of garments that are usually worn by commoners.

"I know it is not much," she gestures to the room around us, "but it is warm and it will keep the two of you safe from the harshness of the Northern weather, especially you, Princess Peregrine." I give her an appreciative nod. "I have laid out some clothing for the two of you. It is not spelled or enchanted like the royal garments the two of you are wearing now, so they are not shiftable."

"I understand. It makes more sense for us to wear them." Timber adds.

"Well, I will leave the two of you to it." She goes to back out of the room but then adds, "I know it was a long journey to get here. Are the two of you hungry?" My stomach automatically growls in response to her question. "Alright then." She chuckles. "I shall bring up some bread and ale for the two of you."

"Thank you." I am honestly grateful for her understanding and kindness. Most people would run far away from this circumstance and its severity.

"Of course. Now the two of you can just relax but..." she stops looking back and forth between Timber and I like she does not know if she should continue or not.

"What is it, Ophelia?" I asked.

"It is just..." she bites the side of her cheek.

"Out with it, now." Timber added.

"I do not mean to imply anything between the two of you but," she hesitates but finally continues, "you should cover up King Raven's scent. It is strong and if any other creatures come they will pick up on it." Neither of us say anything as she quickly and nervously backs out of the room.

The moment she closes the door Timber's arms are around me. "You heard what she said." He nuzzles the top of my head and then nips my earlobe. "I need to claim you as my own."

"Timber, calm yourself, you animal." He laughs loudly before letting go of me.

"Me? Calm myself?" He scoffs. "I thought you would have known better than that by now, princess. I never calm or behave myself." And it is true. If the circumstance we are in right now is not telling enough than I do not know what would be.

"I just want to get into some comfortable clothes, eat a good helping of bread, and then sleep for days." I admit honestly. There was not much else I would be up to, even if Timber wanted me to be. "You can keep your claiming and scenting to yourself until I get some proper rest."

He shakes his head. "What do you think I am... some type of mongrel or something?" He had used my mother's tone of voice which I could not help but laugh at.

"Yes, you are a mongrel indeed, Timber. The most mongrel of all mongrels. That is you." I tease.

"Well then if that is me—" he tackles me onto the bed and smothers me with kisses everywhere until I am able to shove him off of me. "What? Was that too much for you, you fragile sky creature?"

"Yes it was too much, you land beast."

"Beast, you say?" His eyes darken as he hovers over me. "You have no idea just how much of a beast I want to be with you." I feel my cheeks flush and my heart rate quicken at his words. "But we will have to wait until you are properly recovered until you find out." He places a kiss on my nose and then rolls off to the side of me, leaving me flustered.

Never in my life have I felt so out of breath and full of life at the same time. And that is exactly what I love bout being here. About being with Timber; I feel alive.

A/N:
Happy Tuesday! I hit 19K words on my NaNo project (this book). So, I'm super excited to be nearly halfway toward my goal of 50K!