Chapter 42 - Hunter

Start from the beginning

Closing my eyes as I kissed her again, before forcing myself to leave her side.

Heading to the kitchen, it surprised me to find Ruth sat with Zander. No doubt he would have told her what was happening. Thankfully, she'd tipped up with enough food to feed and army and half my wardrobe. It then more or less took a fucking bulldozer to get her to leavewalking her to the car and insisting she not return until we sorted this. Ruth meant too much to me to have her getting caught up in this shit.

Almost ripping the breath from my body, she hugged me tightly. "Don't you go getting yourself hurt or worse. You listen, Hunterand that goes for Zander too. Have each other's backs. Don't make me beat your sorry behinds."

"Yeah, quit worrying Ruth. Nothing is going to happen to me or Zander." A bitter taste stung the back of my throat. She looked at me, her lips in a tight line, clearly not believing, but nodded and got in her car.

~ ~ ~

Quickly showering and changing, I made my way back to the kitchen to see some familiar faces. John and a few of his pack members were sitting with Zander going through some plans. As I grabbed myself a coffee, the door burst open and in came Gunner's wolf dragging a much smaller wolf by the neck. He spat it out as everyone hushed.

'Found this one on the border Boss. Runt's from the West Side Pack.'  He grunted. 'Fuckin' smell 'im a mile off.'  Zander's eyes flicked to mine, not needing to read his thoughtsthis had been inevitable.

Slamming my cup down, almost spilling its contents, I walked over to the runt. "Shift." I instructed. "Fucking shift now, or I swear to god I'll"

He shifted, now butt naked in front of us. Misha offered him a small towel to cover himself. He refused to make eye contact.

Barely an adult, a kidseventeen at most. I recognised his face. He growled at me. Prick. "Drop the attitude, runt."

He lowered his eyes. Zanders chair scraped across the tiled floor. He walked towards the kid and yanked him from the floor. "This is how it's gonna work. I'm going to ask questions and you're going to answer. Understand?"

He dragged him, forcing him to sit on the chair, before pulling his chair up alongside, plonking himself down. Under all the bravado, I knew the kid was shit-scared. His fear wafted through my nose; my wolf sniffed behind my eyes, smirking—itching for a fight.

"He doesn't need to talk; I can get inside his head and get what we need," barked Sylar.

I couldn't look at him as my hands curled into fists. My wolf wasn't too happy either, feeling the loss of connection to our mate.

I kept my eyes on the kid. "Hear that runt, and it won't be pleasant if I let him get inside your head." I gestured with my thumb in Sylar's direction.

The kid didn't speak, but he got the message.

Zander leaned in closer. "Are you here on your own?"

The runt clamped his mouth shut. I took a step towards him, his eyes flicked to mine. "He can get inside your head kid, but I can still beat the shit of you, yeah?"

His face paled. Point made. "Yeah, I'm alone," he muttered, lowering his eyes.

"Was you sent to scope the place?" challenged Zander.

Silence.

This was taking too damn long. I walked behind him and placed one hand at the back of his neck and squeezed. It didn't take long for him to sing like a canary.