ꜰᴏᴜʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

Start from the beginning

"I wanted to ask you a question," replied the freckled boy. You nodded and focused on him, indicating that you were listening to what he's about to say. 

"U-um. Are you and Tsukki fighting? You haven't talked to each other since yesterday." His lips curved into a shy smile, scratching the back of his head. He looked at you with a patient and kind eyes. How could you not open up to him? He's basically the friend that everyone should have. 

A sigh left your lips. "I confessed to him."

"Eh?"

You chuckled and nodded. "I told him that I liked him, but I... was deeply hoping that he'd like me back. Maybe I was just assuming things. I definitely was. I don't know what has gotten into him, Yamaguchi. And I would hate it if I was the reason he's acting this way. If I knew this would happen, I would've just kept my mouth shut. I don't know how to talk to Tsukishima anymore. I just... want everything to go back to normal."

"L/n-chan..." His brows furrowed in concern. You were definitely not assuming things. Yamaguchi could see how differently Tsukishima acts whenever you're around. He has known him since they were kids but no one has ever made Tsukishima show affection until he met you. Yamaguchi remembered feeling so glad and so relieved when you showed up in his and Tsukishima's life. You were the breath of fresh air Tsukishima needed. It pains Yamaguchi to know that he couldn't do anything or say anything to his friend-- to at least wake him up from that coward mentality of his.

"I-I'm sorry. Tsukki has been through a lot. But please trust me, he's a good person," Yamaguchi stated. His face looked troubled as if he was already bothered by something before this. "To be honest, I'm starting to think I don't know him as well as I thought. No one can really tell what Tsukki's thinking. And now that you told me this, I'm really mad." 

"Mad?" you asked him and furrowed your brows in confusion. Mad and Yamaguchi never belonged in a sentence before, and the fact that his expression still remained unfazed puzzled you. 

"Is there something bothering you, Yamaguchi-kun?" you asked, turning the concern on him.

He looked away and let out a deep sigh. "Everyone is trying their best to improve. Our last defeat really hurt us. But... it seems like Tsukki doesn't care at all. I'm just confused... what do I tell him? L/n-chan?" He looked deep into your eyes. 

You thought long and hard about it. There is something holding Tsukishima back but you thought it's not your place to give Yamaguchi advice about him. You smiled kindly at the dark green-haired boy. "Yamaguchi-kun. I believe you already know the answer to your questions. I don't know Tsukishima on a deep level as you do. The only advice I can give you is to trust the friendship you've formed with him."

Yamaguchi's expression lightened up. Gulping, he nodded and had a look of determination. "I want to know him on a deeper level too. I still haven't given up on him, you know. But you're the only person that truly knows him." Just a few meters away from you and Yamaguchi was Tsukishima. He had just gotten out of the gym with a yellow water bottle in his hand and walked straight down the stone path. You then turned to Yamaguchi and smiled at him.