Chapter 27

Kaiden stood there for what felt like a lifetime when in reality it was just a few seconds. Just a few moments ago he had been in his car thinking of all the possible outcomes of what he was about to do.

He heard voices and footsteps heading towards the door and he braced himself. The door opened and he came face to face with an elderly woman.

"Bonjour." She greeted. "Puis-je vous aider?"
Hello. Can I help you?

"Bonjour." He returned her greeting. "Je suis ici pour voir Sarah."
Hello. I'm here to see Sarah.

"Sarah Madame." She said

"Juliette. Juliette." He heard the voices call out before he saw them.

Two little identical girls running towards the woman he was speaking to who he presumed was Juliette.

"Kristina. Karissa. Je t'ai dit d'arrêter de courir."
I told you to stop running.

"Pardon Juliette." The little girls said before they turned to look at him from behind Juliette.

"Qui est-ce?" One of the girls asked.
Who is this?

"Monsieur désolé." Juliette said "Veuillez entrer."
Sorry, sir. Please, come in.

Kaiden smiled at the girls and as he stepped in Juliette took them by the hand and led them into the house asking him to follow. She stopped in the living room and asked him to have a seat while she went to get the lady of the house. She took Karissa and Kristina with her.

He couldn't sit down obviously. He hadn't seen Sarah since she left him after he told her why he had proposed to her which was eight years ago. He wasn't sure what to expect but he was prepared for the worst which would be her sending him out of her house.

He heard footsteps and voices and they drew closer. He braced himself and when she stepped out, with Juliette beside her, he wasn't sure what to do.

"Excusez moi." Juliette said before she left them alone.

Sarah looked very much different than he remembered, not just her look but everything about her looked different.

Sarah walked down two stairs from the hallway into the living room where Kaiden, her college crush, stood. He looked a lot different than she remembered but of course, a lot has happened in the last eight years since she saw him.

She walked towards him, stopping a few feet away from him.
"I was surprised when Juliette said an American man was here to see me."

"I'm sorry to show up unannounced."

She looked at him for a moment before she broke into a smile, closed the distance between them, and hugged him.

That was not what he expected but Kaiden hugged her back.

"It's been too long." Sarah said after she pulled back.

Kaiden smiled back.
"It has."

"Not that I'm not happy to see you but what are you doing here?"

Kaiden was silent for a moment before he sighed.
"We need to talk."

Minutes later, they were seated outside in the large garden that looked more like a football field. The French were known for their taste in wine and Sarah wasn't any different as she had lived in Paris for more than five years.

"I didn't even know that you had been nursing this guilt." Sarah said after Kaiden had told her why he was there.

"I honestly thought you hated me."

"Well as you can see, I don't." She said. "Look Kaiden, a lot of things happened in College and to be honest I wasn't the best person but after you called off the engagement, my life took a major turn."

Kaiden watched her as she smiled while she spoke.
She was definitely different.

"If things hadn't happened the way it did, I doubt if I would be where I am today." She said, "And I am so happy with how things turned out."

"I'm happy for you." He said. "And your kids, they're as beautiful as their mother."

Her smile grew wider.
"Those girls are my life." She said. "And not that there's anything to forgive, but if that's what you need then you have it."

Kaiden reached across the table, placing his hand over hers.
"Thank you, Sarah."

"So," She smiled as she lifted her glass to her lips and took a sip. "Have you seen her in the last eight years?"

"Her?"

"Oh, don't play coy with me." Sarah rolled her eyes.

Kaiden smiled.
"That's a long story."

"Good thing we have all day and the rest of the weekend to catch up."

And they did, they had the rest of the day and the weekend to catch up which they spent talking about a lot of things. Sarah introduced him to the girls and asked him to stay over for dinner where she introduced her husband to him. The next day, he spent indoors on his laptop until Sarah had invited him for a night out with her and her husband. Her husband was much like him and they hit it off just like they had the night before.

He got back to his hotel at 7 pm that night. He took a shower and was ready to go to bed when his phone rang.

"Isaac?" He answered the phone.

"Hey man, what's up?" Isaac greeted. "When are we expecting you?"

"Tomorrow, maybe."

"Ok, good."

Kaiden frowned.
"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Isaac, what's wrong?"

"I'd decided on telling you when you got back..."

"Tell me."

"It's about Rogers."

Kaiden's rival, Rogers.
What had that idiot done again?

"Don't tell me he got into our systems again." Kaiden ran a hand over his face.

"No," Isaac said. "I think this is worse."

Kaiden exhaled heavily.
"What has he done?"

*****************************************************
So I totally forgot to upload yesterday. Really sorry.

Yesterday was my birthday, and as you'd imagine, yea, I slept the whole day then woke up in the evening to reply to messages.

Here's yesterday's update. ❤️