Chapter 14

Josie got home later that day, physically and emotionally drained. She shut the door behind her and fall against it with a sigh. She looked around her empty apartment and then at the kitchen; she needed to get started on dinner. She pushed against the door and walked through the kitchen and the living room, making her way towards the narrow hallway. She turned to the left, heading for her room. She turned to the door on the right and turned the knob and stopped, her gaze on the door at the end of the hallway.

Not today.
She told herself.

She looked away and pushed into her room then made her way to the end of her bed. She placed her bag on the edge of the bed as she plopped down on it. Bending forward, she reached for her shoe buckle and undid them, taking the shoes off, she set them aside, her barefoot on the rug.

That felt good.
She thought as she flexed her foot.

She was tired but she was used to this every day after work. So, like she always did, she made herself do what needed to be done. She got up and walked to her bathroom taking off her blouse and unzipping her skirt. She put them in the laundry basket as she entered the bathroom then put her hair in a bun on the top of her head and walked to the vanity. She stood there in her matching underwear, black like almost every underwear she owned. Since she found the perfect store that sold amazing underwear that was both comfy and sexy, she raided their store twice a year. She reached for her DIY cotton pads makeup remover next to her toothbrush and wiped her face clean before she took off her underwear and hopped into the shower to wash the day's dirt off. She was done in minutes and reached for her towel then walked back into her room towards her closet. She opened the first bottom drawer and picked one of her black panties then shut the drawer before putting on her panties. She went to one of the shelves where she had clothes stacked and picked one of those extra-large shirts and fitting shorts. She went back to the bathroom to spread her towel to dry after she had put on her clothes and headed for the kitchen after grabbing her phone.

She made a quick stop at the living room, turned on the sound system, and connected her phone to it before hitting 'play' on her playlist. She then walked to the kitchen as her entire apartment filled with soothing music that always made her relax. She pulled open the fridge and then the cupboard mentally deciding what to have for dinner. She grabbed the packet of pasta and shut the cupboard, then filled the pot with some water and turned the burner on, pour a little oil and some salt before adding just enough pasta, she put the lid on and sealed the remaining pasta and put it back in the cupboard. She opened the fridge and grabbed some cheese, some milk, and a large pan and just as she was about to get started on it, her phone rang. She stopped what she was doing and made her way to the living room where her phone was, a smile on her face as she stopped the music and answered the call.

"Hi, mum." She said in a sing-song voice.

"Josie darling, how are you?" Her mum's soft voice asked.

"Fine as always. How are you?"

"I'm fine. Just got back from having a walk with your dad."

"How is he?"

"He's fine." Her dad answered making her smile widen.

They were always on the phone together. Call dad, and mum was there, call mum, and dad was there, it was the sweetest thing.

"Daddy."

"Hey darling, how was work?" Her dad asked. "Anything new happened today?"

"Got two new clients today."

"Oh, that's good."

She sighed.
Not really.

"So, how was the wedding?" Her mum asked. "The last time we called, you were at the wedding. We thought to call you when you got back to Seattle and when we checked the time, it was pretty late there."

Her parents moved to India after she graduated and her sisters, Jasmine and Rosa settled in New York and Los Angeles respectively. She visited them a few times in a year but at Christmas, they all went to India and stayed over until a few days or a week after the New Year. Christmas was her favorite time of the year because she got to be with everyone.

"It was amazing," Josie said. "Mia and Fred looked so happy. I'll send you pictures."

"I'd like that." Her mum said. "Anything else happened at the wedding?"

Josie frowned.
"Nothing."

"You sure?" Her dad asked.

Josie took a moment to think of how they would even know something happened.
Andre.

"What exactly did Andre tell you?"

"Andre. He didn't tell us anything." Her mum said. "Did he, honey?"

"Of course not, since there's nothing to tell. But if you assume he told us something then something happened."

Josie laughed, shaking her head.
"Nothing important happened asides my best friends getting married."

Silence.

"Alright, darling." Her mum said. "Remember, we're always here."

She knew that.

"You take care darling." Her dad said.

"You too."

"We love you." Her mum said.

"I love you too." She said before they hung up.

She stared at her phone for a moment before she dialed his number.

"Priya?" He answered on the third ring.

"What did you tell my parents?"

"Uhh..." He dragged.

"Andre?"

"I didn't tell them anything or rather I didn't plan on telling them anything." He said. "They tried reaching you the day you flew back to Seattle but obviously your number didn't go through. They didn't want to call Fred or Mia, so they called me and I might have let it slip that someone showed up at the wedding."

"You let it slip."

"And Izzy explained why he was there in the first place."

"So, the two of you let it slip."

"Yes?"

"Ok, call me never." She said before she hung up with a smile on her face

That would teach him not to let things 'slip'.

She put her phone on flight mode and hit play on her playlist before she went back to the kitchen to finish making her dinner.

She smiled just thinking about Andre trying to reach her and that made her day better after finding out that Kaiden Williamson would be in her life for a while, till his project was completed.

His name alone ruined her good mood but she shook it off and focused on the music and the food. She wasn't going to let him ruin her mood or her life again.