Chapter 49

One Year Later.

"You talked to him again?" Josie asked as she and Kaiden walked the street that Saturday, hotdog in hand.

They'd done some Christmas shopping and were heading back. The streets were decorated as it was just a few weeks till Christmas. The snow was coming down and was getting worse.

"I did," Kaiden replied. "He ignored it again."

Kaiden gestured to an empty seat on the sidewalk and they both took their seats.

"I feel like he's trying to hide something."

"I thought so when you asked him the third time and he ignored that as well." Josie said.

Kaiden sighed.

"What could your dad possibly be hiding about your mum's death?"

Kaiden shook his head.
"I have no idea. But I'm going to find out one way or another."

"You sure you don't just want to wait till your dad is ready to tell you?"

"I've waited long enough."

Josie reached out and placed her hand on his arm which earned her a small smile that didn't reach his eyes.

Kaiden frowned.
"You're freezing." He said. "Let's get you into the car."

"Spoken to your parents about not being there for Christmas?"
Kaiden asked as he drove to Josie's apartment.

"Yea. Everyone was ok with it." She said. "Of course they would call but it's fine since I'll be heading there on the thirtieth."

"Would it be safe to fly then?"

Josie shrugged.
"We'll see."

"And you're sure you don't want to spend Christmas with Evelyn, dad, and I?" Kaiden asked as he drove to Josie's apartment.

"I told you, I'm spending it with Izzy, Andre, Mia, Fred, and their families." She said. "It's going to be so crazy especially with Izzy and the new baby and Mia being pregnant."

"Wow."

"I know." She glanced at him with a smile.

"And after?"

She studied his face as he drove.
"After what?"

"After spending Christmas with them."

Josie smiled.
"What do you think?"

Kaiden smiled before glancing at her. He had his eyes on the road and was quiet for a moment.
"I can't wait."

"Why? We've eaten together so many times."

"This is different. We're spending Christmas together."

She looked away with a smile on her face.

The past year had been amazing. She had gotten to lower her guard and gotten comfortable with Kaiden. She had moved past everything, or so she told herself. She had gotten to know Kaiden, this Kaiden, and she was grateful for their friendship. He was the only friend she had in Seattle except for times when Andre and Izzy or Fred and Mia came to visit. Zena had visited once and Josie had also taken a week off work to visit her in Italy.

At work, Georgie had finally decided to take a chance by joining Frank's team and she's been doing great, especially with Isaac there to cheer her. Josie hadn't been able to get another assistant because Georgie had only left the position open 2 months ago and she was finding it hard to move on.
No one could replace Georgie but she'd have to find a new assistant after the New Year when everyone was back from the holidays. She wouldn't be able to handle everything on her own.

And Kaiden, he and his assistant were now in sync. Kaiden had also moved his office to the ground floor, whatever that was about. He didn't like how she couldn't take the elevator all the way up thirty floors just to see him.

And the elephant they had been dancing around, still went untouched. Questions unanswered, and things left unknown. Although Kaiden had told her what had gone on in his dad's office that night only when she had asked. She'd pretty much changed the topic after that when he tried to find out what was going through her head then.

Yes, she and Kaiden were close and she'd let her guard down, but not completely. There was still that college girl in her she was hiding. The one she'd locked up in the box along with the pain and the memories. Although the pain had lessened she had a feeling it would return when that box was opened.

Kaiden hit the brakes when they reached a red light. He turned to Josie and immediately knew that look, she was lost in thought. He watched as her shoulders lifted and fell in a sigh.

So much had happened in the past year. He had no idea how he thought being friends with Josie would be easy if they spent more time together. It only made his feelings grow to a point where he had to clench his jaw to shut his mouth up before he blurted out anything that would let her know that he felt more for her, more than a friend should.

He fucking loved her.
It was that simple.

But he knew for Josie, it was anything but simple. She'd freak out if she knew and he'd come a long way to push her away and then to start all over again. God knows he'd wait for however fucking long it took for her to reach a point where she wouldn't freak out.

But the more he thought about it, he wasn't sure any amount of time would be enough for Josie not to freak out when he told her how much he loved her. Two years, ten, it didn't matter. Josie would freak out regardless.

Now the question was: Was he ready to wait that long to disclose his feelings to her?

The honking snapped Kaiden out of his train of thought. He turned to the road in front of him and resumed the drive.

A few moments later, Kaiden walked Josie up to her apartment.

"Lunch tomorrow?" Josie asked.

It had become a routine they'd recently developed.

"Of course." He said. "Yours or mine?"

With the weather, they'd decided to eat at the office and took turns on whose office to use.

"It was mine on Friday. So, yours."

He didn't like her driving in the weather but he wasn't about to say so.
"Ok then," Kaiden said. "The food will be there before you get there."

"Great."

Kaiden unlocked her door and let her step inside.

"Goodnight."

He smiled.
"Goodnight."

He sighed when she shut the door before he headed back down to his car and drove to his empty house.

The question, would he wait, still lingered in his head.