Chapter 20

Third Person POV:

He dabs the cloth on the hybrid's forehead; this is the worst fever Luke has seen in a long time. The last time this happened was with Collin back at the base. Oh, how he's tried to forget that mess. He's been doing everything that was written on the list: gather the ingredients, keep Drake cool, make sure he doesn't tumble out of bed and hurt himself. Everything was on the table ready and there was nothing much for him to do. Listening to Drake's rambling makes him wonder what's truly happening, all the words were jumbled but the panicked state the hybrid is in makes it all too convenient. White eye, fever, odd actions... just like Collin. He thinks, snapping out of his thought as something sneaks from behind, grabbing his sword he turns around only to see an out of breath boy grabbing the berries out of his pockets with his trembling hands.

"Woah... are you ok?" Luke questions, relaxing his grip. Armen ignores him as his eyes still scrambles to look straight.

With no answer Luke grabs his shoulder only for him to get pushed away, "I'm fine. Is Drake ok?"

"Yeah, did something happen? You seem hurt-"

"I'm fine!" He snaps back, his voice wavering. His sudden defensiveness intimidates him; he backs off and lets the boy continue working.

As he completes the stew and struggles to stand straight, so when he's giving his brother food, it nearly spills on the duvet. Once it's all devoured, the raven haired boy nearly drops the bowl as he leans against the wall. Drake improves drastically as his insane ramblings and frantic breathing rests. Luke watches as Armen slowly slides down the wall, hand covering his head as the world continues to spin. Everything is piling on top of each other, his panic, his fear, he wants to scream. He wants to push it all away and never remember those horrible days. However, he can't. He knows no one wants to hear his screams, unless they're screams for forgiveness for those horrible things he's done... those mismatched eyes watch as Armen quietly sobs as he slips into slumber, getting the rest that he deserves. Luke feels uncomfortable but at the same time sorrowful. He's thankful they're asleep so he decides not to disturb them with the hope it'll help them.

~~~

As the moon shines down, Grayson trudges through the grounds and grumpily enters the shed. He places the two bags down, one full of things he'd grabbed along his journey and another empty; a second hand bag. He slumps down on his bed, resting his head against the cold surface of the stone wall. He'd been out to clear his head whilst getting some extra items and a bag for Armen, after all, he doesn't feel comfortable with carrying the boy's stuff anymore. He already had his doubts about Armen early on, but he never expected him to say... that... of course Grayson doesn't blame him for what happened; he knows it wasn't Armen doing those things... but the fact that he thinks it was the right thing to do makes him angry, so angry. How can he be so insensitive? Why would he say that? He honestly thought Armen would be different to Drake, he honestly thought he'd still be the kind boy from back in Iron Meer. He stupidly thought that four years of possession would have no toll on him, alas, that's not the case. His mind can't rest, he spends the night conflicted, wondering why and pondering over the possibilities. 

Eventually, the morning sun interrupts his reading through the cracks of the closed curtain. He shields his forest green eyes as he closes the book. He'd gotten it out of his bag for a quick look but as soon as he started reading it, he didn't stop. Page after page of countless paragraphs, sentences, word of things he doesn't remember. Whilst reading, he realises that this is the book, the one Armen wants gone... but with his feelings and emotions, it didn't even occur to him to get rid of it, in fact, he felt more compelled to keep it, and to hide it. Unaware to him, the book is only playing to his emotions, guiding him. But to where?