Chapter 54

Grayson's POV:

Sat down by the table I scoop up my soup. It's cold, but then again, everything is cold up here. The warmth we feel either comes from our blankets or the furnaces. Anywhere else is on the brink of freezing, but after a year of living in this constant blizzard, Luke and I have gotten used to it.

The outside door flies open and the sound of wind howls whilst spots of snow land and melt on the carpet. What sounds like a great deal of effort, the door finally closes and Luke gives out a sigh.

"Windy?" I speak up, soup still in my mouth.

"No, not at all, just a slight breeze." His sarcasm gets better every day.

He walks round the corner. His penguin hat is covered with snow and uses his black cardigan to dust it off. His mask is down showing his bright red ears and freckles that are hidden beneath his cheeks.

"Next time, you can go check the stabilisers." He mutters, leaving his coat on the chair.

Walking by me he suddenly stops and looks at my bowl and looks between me and the bowl expectingly.

"This is my soup. You've already had your rations." I defensively cover my bowl with my hands.

"Just a sip for a hard days work?" He's now opposite me, hands on the table slowly getting closer.

"No!" I sternly say, "This is why I have to hide the food."

He looks at me and I look at him. The wind outside continues to howl as I wait. He lunges forward and I move the bowl out the way and down the rest of the soup.

Making a pouting face he gives up as he lies on the table I Ieave him to sulk as I put away the bowl. Too many times have the rations nearly disappeared due to someone having midnight snacks, well, it was a lot worse when Collin was here. Surprisingly, he'd always have an apple a day despite there never being apples.

I turn round to double check the secret hatch is still a secret when I see him. Bloodied, bruised, snow frozen along his skin, gasping, I bump into the counters behind me. I look down at the empty bowl and as I look back, Collin is gone.

"Grayson?" Luke speaks up.

I look through the food hatch, Luke's staring at me blankly as I compose myself.

"Yeah?"

"I- you screamed"

"I did not."

"You did."

"Did not-"

"Did"

This back and forth quickly dies down as knocking comes from the room to our left. There's no doors there, only the computers and windows to a snow wall.

"Shotgun not it." Luke shouts out before I could get a say in.

Mumbling grumpily, I exit the kitchen and carefully peer into the computer room. Looking around, all but one of the computers are off. Sighing, I relax and head over to it.

"It was probably the computer overheating." I rationalise, turning it off.

"You know that's not true"

"What's that supposed..." turning around, I'm met with nothing. The lights are dimmer and the wind seems to be louder.

"Luke?" I call out.

The lights start to flicker. The buzzing of the electrics sting my ears as the whirring of the computers start to increase. Louder and louder until they burst and it all goes dark. The glass shatters onto the carpet and scrapes my skin. The only light that remains comes from the computers. Red, green and blue flash in my peripheral and I slowly turn around.