Chapter 25

Drake's POV:

It's late in the day and we're hiding in the woods north of the Red Keep. A few minutes ago a couple of the empirical guards came marching through, thankfully they ignored the deeper parts of the woods and focused on the road. Considering what happened today we all need a rest, mentally and physically... Armen's still refusing to talk; he's avoiding eye contact and barely moving. For a while he's just been staring at his left arm, occasionally rubbing it. I've attempted to talk to him every now and then but I only get a pained smile and a murmured hum as a response. Grayson, on the other hand, is a wild card. His head is stuck in the palm of his hands whilst his breathing is unsteady and eyes fixated on the dry floor. This isn't like him. I would give him some slack considering what's happened but I can't let him off that easily for hurting Armen... despite all these things happening at once, there's no sound, only silence... this is probably the quietest it's ever been since we've reunited. I don't like it. Silence leaves you with your thoughts and in full honestly I would rather be in danger than in silence. If only I could sleep... 

You can sleep if you want. Don't worry. I'll be here to protect you. ~

I scrunch my eyes in pain and try not to make a noise; I don't need the other to know. I take a shallow sigh as I regain my broken posture. That's the last thing I want. Sleeping whilst your here is like running on thin ice on top of an active volcano. 

Nice analogy Number 2.

I roll my eyes, having them land on Grayson who's looking next to me with confusion. Turning to my side I spot Armen slowly nodding off to sleep despite the obvious attempt to stay awake. 

"Hey..." I whisper, he dozily looks up at me, "You can sleep if you want to. I'll be right here to protect you." 

He gives an overused smiles and debates it, he shakes his head but continues to doze off in the comfort of his own arms. The bags under his eyes pierce his skin as water quietly leaks out as he falls asleep. With concern, I turn back to Grayson who's now looking at me with concern. 

"Drake, can I talk to you alone?" he whispers, tone filled with worry.

I give a side glance to Armen before glaring back at Grayson, "We are alone. So speak." I whisper.

"I... no, can we go elsewhere." he mutters, eyes fixed on Armen. 

"I'm not leaving him. If you think I'd-" 

"No, no. I just... I don't want him to hear us." 

I keep my eyes on him as curiosity takes hold and I carefully get up. Grabbing Grayson I pull him away and back him up against a tree. He's calmed down but his skittish eyes suggest otherwise. Crossing my arms I narrow my eyes, I want to get this over and done with. 

Gulping he starts to fiddle with his ring finger, "I... I don't know how to start this but-"

"How about promising me something?" I cut in, grabbing his curiosity, "Promise me this. Once Armen wakes up, you're apologizing to him and you'll never yell or attempt to harm him again."

His eyes widen as he glances away, mouth moving like it wants to speak but refuses to make a sound. How is it difficult request? "I... I don't know." he finally mutters.

"I don't know?" I growl quietly, "What do you mean by that!? It's a yes or no answer."

"I mean- I want to- but I don't- no I do but... I don't know, I can't. I can't right now... I know what I did was wrong and I'm sorry for that but I... I can't! He killed Luke- well he didn't not at all but he stood there and did nothing- why wouldn't I get angry at him?!" he clasps his mouth and tries to calm down, his mood and tone change with every word... what's going on?

"Grayson." he looks at me, "What you did earlier wasn't good. I realise things are going to be hard for you but don't use it as an excuse to hurt him."

"I didn't hurt him-"

"Yes you did. You've seen how he was acting earlier, your actions and your words, they both hurt him. He's so unresponsive and he keeps looking at those scars, whatever they truly mean... I don't want you hurting him and if you can't promise me that, then you might as well leave."

"What? "

"You heard me. If you won't make a simple promise, then you can leave, I'm capable of protecting him on my own." I whisper in an aggressive tone.

"Oh! That reminds me of what I wanted to talk about; your possession problem." glancing away he gives a judgemental chuckle, "Forgot about that, didn't you?"

"I- well- does that matter? Currently it seems like I'm doing a better job than you." I reply, I can keep him under control. 

He rolls his eyes before walking away, picking up his bag he turns back at me with a snarky look, "Alright then. I'll leave. Let's see how long it'll take for shit to go down hill." and with that, he's gone, trudging across uneasy roots, never turning back...

What a wonderful bet~

I shiver in pain as I flump against the tree, I ignore him as I turn to Armen who is still fast asleep, curled up into a ball. This was the right choice, it has to be.

It was the perfect choice, helps me out in so many ways.

I clench my ears as his horrid laughter echoes around, "Will you stop it, you don't get to talk whenever you feel like it." I mutter, grasp onto the power, and keep a hold onto it.

I think you've misunderstood something... 

Let me correct that. 

A sudden cold gust hits me, snapping me back into reality, my body shivers as I quickly cross my arms tightly, a howling screech cuts through the trees. Looking around, it's silent, the morning sky is barely visible through the thick blankets of leaves. The breeze stops and it starts to calm down, the world seems to slow... wait- 

Trapping my body with my weightless arms, I suddenly start to shake vigorously as a painful chill spikes down my spine. It's so cold. Peering besides me Armen seems fine, no shaking, no movement, still breathing but very still. I quietly wince as the previously docile headache comes back with pounding force. I try clutching my head but I instinctively retract and curl up. It's too cold. It's too cold. Too cold... too... I can't breathe. I struggle, gasping for breaths as my body freezes up. Why now? Blurry, everything's going blurry. I don't want to look up, I don't want to move. I want this to end. I want to take a rest. I want to sleep. I want things to be ok... It hurts. It hurts. It hurts. Please stop. I can't breathe. I can't... I...

ᓭリᔑ!¡ 𝙹⚍ℸ ̣ 𝙹⎓ ╎ℸ ̣!

It's warm...

!¡ꖎᒷᔑᓭᒷ ⊣ᒷℸ ̣ ⚍!¡!

It's very warm...

ℸ ̣ ᔑꖌᒷ ʖᔑᓵꖌ ᓵ𝙹リℸ ̣ ∷𝙹ꖎ!

Maybe I could close my eyes for a bit...

 リ𝙹...ᓭℸ ̣ ᔑ|| ᔑ∴ᔑꖌᒷ...

That should be fine... 

↸∷ᔑꖌᒷ ∴ᔑꖌᒷ ⚍!¡!

...

↸∷ᔑꖌᒷ!

Let the poor boy have some sleep. It may be the last one he ever has.