Chapter 62

Third Person POV:

The room is cold despite the hell fire that chars the walls and floor. An empty throne sits in the middle as Hero stares at the only sense of life in that world of death. There's commotion going on outside as the news of his return to glory has spread and has caused uproars in celebration and anguish across the demons and the lost souls that he'd tormented in the past.

A whooshing sound enters as Amber throws the bags towards a pile where other bags and random items have been stacked. She goes up to the cold throne and slumps down, "You needa clean up in 'ere." They comment, wiping the char off the arm rests.

"You need to watch your tone." He replies, not looking at her, "What took you so long? And Where's that book?"

She sighs, getting up the click of her fingers empty the discarded bags as two books now float before her hands. Once the orange mist around it disappears they fall into their hands, "That man child you gave it to won't let it up, I'll need to find a different approach"

They hold the books like playing cards, Hero finally turns to her and glares, "Throw them in the pile." Nodding towards the designated 'Disintegrate' pile.

"They're useful." She claims.

"Not anymore."

"But-"

"They had a role to play, a goal and they succeed... however it was in the wrong way and they were lucky to keep them on the right path. They're failures."

"Y'know it's 'ardly fair to label them as failures after failing one task out of many. Also- it's quite hypocritical of you, after all, their target was the one you failed to keep-"

Without warning, a sudden force traps Amber's neck against the wall, loosing air. Hero's eyes are glowing in rage as his arm starts to close her throat.

"You are forgetting your place. I will not tolerate your ignorance. Remember that."

Then, he lets go. Amber falls to the ground, hands protecting what's now bruised. As she coughs, Hero walks over to the chair and picks up the two frightened books.

"You know your role."

She looks up at him, sticks her tongue out before a smoke of orange surrounds them and takes them away. Once she's gone he sighs in annoyance.

Holding the books up he smiles, "As if I'd let you two have peace." A white smoke covers them, he's sent them to a place only he knows of.

"One issue down, one more to go."

~~~~~

The grass is so soft, it's the softest Armen has ever felt. Lying down in the new clothes Mia sourced from her current, though barely used, house along with a local shop which was a tad on the expensive side.

Armen's got a white top with a brown lining on the edges of the sleeves, overlaying it is a dark brown buttonless vest that is held together with a waist band wrapped around him. His trousers are soft and baggy with the ends rolled up. He managed to get his gloves washed, he doesn't want to part with them.

Mia, who's lying next to him, has a new beanie that keeps her head warm. She has a dark blue beanie behind her newly cut hair, she wears a faded purple top which covers the neck with a dark grey-purple buttoned vest on top. Her trousers are a deep blue that reach down to the top of her brown boots. On her neck is a triangular necklace, a symbol that's passed down her family. 

The trees that protect this magical land twist and turn as wind make a tune that could send someone calm to sleep. Armen keeps his left eye closed as light randomly shines in and causes a slight migraine.

"I could get you that eyepatch." Mia reminds him.

"No, I'm fine." Armen sighs.

"You're on the verge of closing both eyes."

Armen closes them, "Maybe that's how I like it."

"Yeah, but not seeing where you're going won't be helpful whilst walking."

Realising the sense in the statement, Armen gives in. Mia sits up excited and hands him the eye patch.

Looking at the fancy eyepatch then back up at her excited face he sighs. Putting it on he opens both eyes and cringes.

"You'll have to get used to it, it'll help your eyes in the long run. Trust me."

With a grumbled 'fine' the two of them go back to resting on the grass, a silence is shared between them before a slight mumble begins the next sentence.

"When would we leave?"

Mia knew this question would arise, honestly, she was thinking the same thing. But she has no answer for it.

"That all depends on Grayson's condition... and his son."

"I know that, but where to? I'm aware we were heading to the Dragon Hatchery but... everything has changed."

"I'll be honest, I wanna see RQ so badly, haven't seen her since she set off on her grand adventure across the Western Seas... but, according to Freya she's down South, not an impossible trek but by the time I get there she'll be gone." She stares up at the leaves, verging on a daydream, "However, knowing the Empire, they'll be taking that egg to the Hatchery, they have the egg and the map so they're bound to get there. If Grayson remembers the route we might be able to get there before them."

Armen scoffs, "They've got ship, we've been walking for weeks and Grayson's been in and out of sleep for days now. We're not going to get there in time."

"Oh yes we are." Mia pops up, "After the big magical explosion there's been strange sightings of buildings and creatures that have invaded that space. Whilst exploring I found a series of caves and hill passages that'd get us there in a couple weeks. Hopefully unknown to the empire, the air up there is thicker which means air travel is harder and would only cause more harm then good."

"What if Drake appears..."

"Then we run like hell- well, we'd probably have to give him the slip. Well... we'll deal with that when it happens." The confidence in Armen's face flickers, "It'll be fine, but for now, just relax, take a look around. This place is protected, he can't get in."

As Mia slumps down on the grass, Armen turns his attention to the sky. Sure, it gives him reassurance but no matter how secure he is, he can't get rid of the feeling that none of them are truly safe.