she comes home to find you asleep

Irene nearly tripped over her two feet as she walked through the door. She wasn't expecting to be met with complete darkness as she closed the door. The room was dark, but it wasn't all quiet; she could hear your soft breaths coming from nearby.

She put down her things and felt around for the switch to flip the light on. The room lit up and her heart swelled with love at the sight of you sound asleep on the sofa.

Your hand was slipping from the cushion and the remote that was once in your hand was now on the floor. Your lips were parted, soft breaths, and an occasional soft snore fell from your lips.

You lied on your side, wrapped in her cozy hoodie and the blanket; though you'd pretty much kicked that off since it was only covering your feet now.

She quickly took her shoes off and then made her way to you. She knelt on the floor and brushed back a loose lock of your hair behind your ear. It previously covered your eye, moving with every inhale and exhale.

She couldn't help but brush her hand along your cheek. She had no intention of waking you. She was just gonna crash on the seat across from the sofa and unwind for a little while.

But even though she wasn't trying to wake you, your eyes opened as she caressed your cheek and your heart fluttered when she sent you that heart-stopping smile that you adore.

"Hey," she whispered softly. "Didn't mean to wake you. You can go back to sleep if you want to,"

"It's okay." You replied, blinking a few times to try to wake up. But your eyes felt heavy still. "You're home now. I've missed you. I tried to wait up for you. I knew you wouldn't be home late but I must've fallen asleep."

"You've been working hard too, lately. It's okay if you're sleepy." She said, kissing your forehead softly. She thought the brush of her lips would make you smile, but it only made a pout form on your lips.

"You missed."

Her heart fluttered as she leaned in and gave you a sweet kiss; one you've both been waiting to share since she left this morning, and one you both melted right into. Her hand fell to your cheek, her thumb brushing along your smooth skin in circles before she pulled back slowly.

"You look tired." She whispered.

"You do too."

"Wanna go up to bed?"

You shook your head and tugged at her hand, moving aside and patting the spot beside you for her to lay down with you.

"We'll go to bed in a bit. Right now, just lay with me and hold me."

"I'm always happy to do that." She said and laid down next to you, happily holding you as you placed your head on her shoulder. She reached for the blanket and covered you both with it.

"Did you have a good day?" You asked as you opened your tired eyes to gaze up at her.

"It was good. But, it's even better now that I'm here with you."

You put your arm over her and closed your eyes, melting as she brushed her fingers along your sides in soft circles.

"I love you." You whispered.

"I love you too."

She watched as you fell asleep, holding you tight all the while.

And though you said you'd go up to bed in a bit, you both found comfort wrapped in each other's warm embrace and fell asleep right there instead.