Regaining Hope

Alexis P.O.V.

The next day, I woke up to two tired looking faces. One I recognized as Louis, and the other was unfamiliar.  The boy looked younger than Louis, but only by a year or so. He had bleach blonde hair that stood straight up, and dark brown roots. His blue eyes seemed dull, but that may have been on account of having been in the hospital and having missed out on sleep.

"Lex?" Louis asked as he realized I was awake and watching them. "Do you need anything? Are you hungry?" he asked quickly.

I shook my head. "No, I'm fine, thanks."

The blonde haired boy was watching me now. I racked my brain to place him, but I couldn't find his name.

"Hey Lex," he said softly, his accent unmistakenably Irish.

I smiled at him, but looked to Louis in confusion.

Louis stared back for a minute before realizing what I was asking. "Oh Lex, this is Niall. He's another one of the members of our band, remember?"

I nodded, remembering them saying I had moved in with a five member boy band. Harry, Louis, Niall, one I didn't remember, and Zayn, so was currently in a coma because of me.

Niall smiled at me, but it was a sad smile. A half-hearted one that didn't hold any true happiness.

Before anyone else had a chance to talk, Niall's phone started loudly vibrating in his pocket.

He apologized, getting it out and reading the caller I.D. "It's Abby, I should take it," he muttered, standing up and leaving the room.

"Who's Abby?" I asked Louis once the door had swung shut.

"Niall's girlfriend. She was one of your best friends, too."

"She was?"

Louis nodded grimly. The name Abby didn't even sound remotely familiar. But I had remembered Carson, right? Granted, I only remembered a face and a name, but it was a start.

"So I've been thinking," I began, twiddling my thumbs. "The doctor said that you could probably help re-jog my memory, right? Well, maybe you could try like telling me everything about me that you know. Like, what happened after my mom got me out of the hospital?"

Louis nodded thoughtfully. I could practically see his brain turning with thoughts and ideas as he sorted through his memories of whatever I had told him in the past.

"Well, from what you've told me, I believe that after your mom got you, you moved to Ohio, where you stayed for high school, hiding from Big Joe and his men, who seemed to have a vendetta ever since your mom rescued you." I nodded. That all sounded reasonable. "Well, in high school, you had three best friends. Carson, Abby, and Jasmine."

"The Carson I remember and the Abby Niall's dating, right?"

Louis nodded before continuing. "Correct. You also dated a guy named Steve."

As soon as the name left his mouth, memories upon memories came rushing back. I let out a loud gasp as my brain seemed to flood with information.

Louis was instantly at my side, watching me with concern, but I wasn't looking at him. I was too busy sorting through my new memories, trying to untangle the web.

"Lex? Lex, what happened?" Louis asked, his entire face filled with panic. "Doctor! Doctor!" he yelled as I didn't respond.

By now I was hyper-ventilating. I felt like I had just run a mile, when I really hadn't moved a single muscle.

Doctors and nurses burst into the room, forcing Louis to the side and surrounding me. I could see Niall in the doorway, watching in fear.

"Alexis? Alexis, what's wrong?" the doctor asked as various nurses checked my vitals and IVs.