No One Does It Better

Liam P.O.V.

Zayn looked around, blinking at all of us. Nobody said anything. He had been awake earlier, but he'd been so surrounded by doctors, that by the time they had finished with him, he'd already fallen back asleep.

So this was the first time we were truly talking to him.

"Hey guys," Zayn croaked.

We all laughed, and I could feel the tears of joy in my eyes for what felt like the millionth time.

 Zayn was back.

"Hey bud. Have a nice sleep?" Harry asked.

Zayn shrugged. "No cool dreams. So what'd I miss in the real world?"

We all exchanged glances. Nobody had even mentioned Lex to him yet. "Well, Zayn, you know how Lex was in the accident with you?" I said slowly.

Zayn's face fell as he watched me, probably assuming the worst.

"She's alright, isn't she?" he asked weakly.

I nodded quickly, not wanting him to worry.

He visibly relaxed, but his eyes were still trained on me in concern. "She lost her memory," I explained slowly.

"Her memory?"

I nodded. "She doesn't remember us. She only remembers up to Steve's death."

Zayn nodded. I could tell he was trying to appear strong, but his face was faltering. "But she's okay?" he asked in a strained voice, trying to keep it together. He was always the strong one. Always the one that held it together. Even after he had just woken up from a coma.

We all nodded. "Yeah, she's completely healed otherwise," Niall explained.

"So has she been released?" Zayn asked, his brows knitting in concern.

I shook my head. "No, I mean, we never really considered the fact she was going to be released soon- but I suppose it'll happen any day."

"And then what?" Louis asked in a monotone voice, which was very uncharacteristic of him. "Do you honestly think she'll stick around here with us? She doesn't even remember us, you guys."

"Well where else would she go, Lou," I tried to reason with not only him, but also myself. Lex wouldn't leave us, of course she would stay with us. She was practically our family.

"Home. To Ohio," Harry dead-panned in the same defeated tone Louis had been using.

"You guys, Lex wouldn't just leave us," Niall defended on my side. "She isn't a quitter, we all know that. She'll stick around until she regains her memory."

The boys continued to grumble amongst themselves when there was a knock at the door. A second later, it crept open to reveal Uncle Zach.

"Oh good, you're all in here," he said in an exhausted tone. This whole ordeal wasn't just hard on us boys, it was rough on Uncle Zach too. I felt bad for the man.

He walked into the room, softly shutting the door behind him. The boys had all grown silent as Uncle Zach took control of the space.

"I need to talk to you all about something," he said in a grave voice. One that made me think I wasn't going to like what he had to say very much. When he realized nobody was going to respond, he pressed on. "As you all know, Lex has pretty much recovered aside from her memory loss. And because of this, the hospital officially gave her the okay to leave a few days ago. When that happened, she approached me and discussed her options of what the next step for her was."